TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone turbocharged a MN12 yet? I know the 4.6 lover forced induction and my buddy is dying to turbo his! What's the best S/C-roots style or centrifical?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Anyone turbocharged a MN12 yet?
Ummm...no. You wanna try? It'll be a fun (read: very hard and expensive) project.

What's the best S/C-roots style or centrifical?
Neither. Its all preference. Some will say roots, others will claim centrifical.
Roots (allen): instant off-idle boost, boost is fairly constant thruout rpm range
centrifical (vortec, paxton, procharger): insignficant boost until 3000rpms (usually), boost builds as rpms increase
Twin screw (whipple, kenne bell): form of roots, the two twisted rotors move air just like the roots, but also compresses the air slightly, fairly constant boost, typicaly better then roots sc's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
turbo

I've been seeing some twin turbo stangs that used turbo coupe turbos for cheap blowing through a carb and really hauling a**. Local j-yard will sell me 2 good ones for $100.00 if we can find room to put them. If they can put a turbo on a new F-Body anything is possible! We're gonna do some measuring Monday and see if it might be feasable. Should we use a FMU or different maf w/24 or 36# inj?
We would only run 8-10# of boost w/alky inj or propane inj to eleminate spark knock. I was thinking the turbos might fit where the first 2 cats go.
Plumbing will be a nightmare!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
youre biggest issue is modifying the exhaust to get an inlet pipe for your turbo. take a look down the driver side of the engine and check your clearance. it would take an act of god to get the piping done.

mustangs have more clearance than we do, thats why youre seeing those setups on them. not to mention the aftermarket support they have, if they had clearance problems like we do someone would have probably made a new k-member for them, but not yet for us...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turbo

Amen brother!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, if anyone is actually crazy enough to undertake this project, I'll throw this out for ya. With a decent turbo and a decent tune, you can run about 20 psi of boost on 92 octane by using water injection (alkey). If you want to know more information about it, check the alkey/nitrous tech forum over at www.turbobuick.com . My best friend has an 87 GN with that water injection on it. He runs 22psi on the street with 92 octane and runs a [email protected] at sea level. And thats burning the tires throgh 1st :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heck yea

Check my sig,gotta T-Type. It goes 12.40's and 7.90 in 1/8. Im member of Turbo Buick .com and you're right the alky inj is hell!!! I've got a buddy that runs 7.80 1/8 mile on race chip,pump gas and alky!! Don't know if the 4.6 will take 20psi-we were thinking maybe 10-12# to start with. If we get on this thing were gonna put up a site for the progress on it.
Later:)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm still "planing" out a turbo set-up for my V6 T BIRD there is enough room to do it on the V6, but the V8 is pretty cramped under the hood.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
J-Rob said:
youre biggest issue is modifying the exhaust to get an inlet pipe for your turbo. take a look down the driver side of the engine and check your clearance. it would take an act of god to get the piping done.

mustangs have more clearance than we do, thats why youre seeing those setups on them. not to mention the aftermarket support they have, if they had clearance problems like we do someone would have probably made a new k-member for them, but not yet for us...
Aye. Incon has a twin turbo kit for stangs. the kit includes a new front suspension

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Well, if anyone is actually crazy enough to undertake this project, I'll throw this out for ya. With a decent turbo and a decent tune, you can run about 20 psi of boost on 92 octane by using water injection (alkey). If you want to know more information about it, check the alkey/nitrous tech forum over at www.turbobuick.com . My best friend has an 87 GN with that water injection on it. He runs 22psi on the street with 92 octane and runs a [email protected] at sea level. And thats burning the tires throgh 1st :)
boost is a measure of restriction. 20psi does NOT mean tons of power. It means you need a better intake/heads/exhaust.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
I ran 18 on a stock SVO...

True,I was running 18 pounds boost on a stock 85 SVO and it lasted.I then went to the big cam head,header,3 inch down pipe and Mustang dual exhaust.That car would rip a slightly modified 5.0 apart.I also ran 18 on my stock 88 Turbo Coupe,would run with a 5.0 but was alot heavier then the Mustang though.
Just my .02
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
GreenBird said:

boost is a measure of restriction. 20psi does NOT mean tons of power. It means you need a better intake/heads/exhaust.
I know that boost is a measure of restriction. I cut my mechanic/performance teeth on that buick. :) Anyways, if you're familier with the turbo buicks, they've got SERIOUSLY good flow rates through the intake and the heads. You pull off the "dog house" (upper plenum) and you can look straight down and see the valves. the exhaust has wonderful flow too. As for needing a better intake/heads combination, I don't think roughly 430RWHP is bad on 15psi boost WITHOUT the added intercooling effect of the alky injection. (I've been trying to get him to take it to a dyno, but that hp number came from a hp calculator that uses your 1/4 mile run)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Someone did it on a Mark 8. Although that is technically not a MN12. Its a FN-10. Very close though and I imagine it would b similar. I believe he goes by Pony Freak. Dont quote me though. Just look through a couple of posts there and look for a sig with a white lowered gen 1 with ground effects. Youll know it when you see it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Turbos..

I also was thinking on putting some turbos to my 95 Cat.... I'll probably get the turbos on Monday...... and i'm still doing research about it.. I was thinking on putting twin turbos.... but like the other guy said, there's no room for the turbos and it's gonna cost a few $$$$$.... but i'm still on the challenge to put them...... if i can... If not. i'll probably sell them....:D Good luck..... Keep me informed dude...

·
2,530 Posts
There is a guy in Georgia that did it...

He took his SC and put a 5.0 Turbo in it.He has the 3rd fastest SC in the states,according to him and the SCCoA.I havent seen it yet but he told me it is bad a$$.I guess it ran a 7.90 in the 1/8th first time out.Just letting you know it can be done.I am gonna do mine eventually.This Nov the 4.6 is coming out and a 5.0 is going in and then later comes the turbo,maybe twins,I dont know about that yet.
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hey LX-Tasy, if you're pulling your 4.6 out, how much you want for the heads?

·
2,530 Posts
I am not parting it out.....

AverageJoe said:
Hey LX-Tasy, if you're pulling your 4.6 out, how much you want for the heads?
Sorry but I am not going to part it out.It only has 75000 on it now so it will have about 81000 when I pull it.
Thanks,
Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts