TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 cougar with the 4.6 V8. I'm going to be putting a true dual exhaust on my car from the manifold back, I was looking into the flowmaster Univseral pipe kits and Flowmaster hushpower II mufflers. The kits I was looking at come with H pipes. I was wondering how many cats the true dual supercoupes and the like have. I'm wondering if I can get away with putting just 1 cat on each bank. I want to keep it as legal as possible since its my daily ride and I want to keep John Law off my case. Does anybody have any input on the flowmaster kits and cat converters and any suggestions of any other products to substitute the flowmaster kits?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
A universal kit isn't going to work without taking it somewhere and having them bent. It would be cheaper to take it to a shop and have all new exhaust run.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'd print out some pics from here, find a good mom and pop shop and just have them do it. The pics are to prove that it can be done as some will look at the tunnel and say it can't be, lol.

Rob

·
Registered
172 Posts
2 years ago I had mine done. They cut the third cat out and custom made my exhaust from the cats back. It cost about $250 with all parts and mufflers. I remember picking my car up from the shop and starting it up the first time. It sounded really good:D

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
ya deff print out stuff. bc they didnt delieve me tell i showed them pics.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
True Dual Exhaust Stock Cats 2.25in pipe alltheway back Mid mounted dual in / dual out Jones Powerflow muffler then ran out back to 16x3 chrome tips is what i did. i bought the muffler off a site for $50. then took the muff and my pics i printed out to this shop called Thrifty Muffler and they did it for $250.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How's that working out for you? Did you reuse the original cats or get new ones? Also how many cats did you put on it, I think the stock y pipe dual has 3 on it. Would I have to put 4 on it for true duals? I imagine it'd be a bit more if I put dual mufflers and an H pipe rather than using the di/do muffler. I don't know too much about those though, do they sound/perfom well?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
sounds good..needs to be louder tho..still has the two stock cats from the downpipes. i wanna get rid of them. put no new cats.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
sounds good..needs to be louder tho..still has the two stock cats from the downpipes. i wanna get rid of them. put no new cats. idno im sure it perfoms better then stock..getin rid of that 3rd cat. n true dual. i was runnin like open headers for awhile. so of corse it was better when i got it on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in PA though thats why I'm concerned with passing emissions without the third cat or a possible fourth when I get the duals. Any PA guys here with true duals ever have trouble passing emissions?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't have any problems passing with two cats.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You live in Illinois though, I think they're more lax, I heard people can run catless there. Any truth to that rumor?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I tried with no cats and didn't pass, but I have heard a few people say they passed without cats. I don't believe them though.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
if your motor is running strong and burning well passing sgouldnt be a problem. My 86 blazer 2.8 that burnt oil like crazy catless passed with flying colors;) and the testing up here is the same for my 95. It all depends on the type of testing done each state is a little different

1 - 17 of 17 Posts