TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have plans to turn my 92 cougar into a stick. is it possable? it has a stock 5.0 H.O, i have heard rumers that the mdr2 trans out of a supercoupe will butt-up to a 5.0, i dont think it will. now if i go with a t-5 i have to worry about where the shifter comes out at so i might not be able to use a supercoupr console?? i have high hopes to do this in the future, could someone please help me thanks jason

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
sure man, theres a bunch of information on that topic floating around the forums. And there is a few tech articles on it as well (get at those from the main page).

But as a quick rundown: the M5R2 will fit, you will need the related hardware from a 5-speed SC.

T-5 will also work, you will need the hardware (minus tranny) from the SC, you will need a bellhousing from a 5.0L M5R2 equipped F-150, and you will need to address the issue of moving the shifter farther back. So far there are 2 ways to pull that off, either fabricate and weld an extension box onto the transmission (look for the 5-speed swap article by papa john), or you can drop $400 bones on the MN12 Performance extension box.

There are more details to it than just that, but that is a quick over view for you. So just check out the tech articles, do a few of these: :search: and you should be in good shape.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just put a T5 in my 93 Bird. I went with the MN12 Performance box, a large chunk of change but the shifter location is perfect.
you will need a bellhousing from a 5.0L M5R2 equipped F-150
Actually, the M5R2 bellhousing and transmission case are all one piece... if you are doing a M5R2 swap you will need the flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate from a F-150... For the T5 swap any 86-93 Mustang T5 bellhousing will work.

To tell the truth, I really wanted to do a T56 6-spd swap, but that would have cost me over 3 grand... twice what the 5-speed swap did. For those who have the resources to do it, it can be done and it has been done. The 93-03 F-body (Camaro, Firebird) T56 has the shifter in the correct location for our cars and you can get a bellhousing from McLeod that will adapt to a 5.0 or a 4.6. The F-body T56 has an electronic speedometer built in. I didn't realize until I pulled my tranny that we have an electronic speedo also, it's just that it runs off a speedo gear in the transmission. I would assume that it would be possible to just tap into the signal coming from the T56 speedo. I haven't really looked into it, I'm just coming up with this as I go.... :) There are also several companies that make hydraulic clutch kits for the T56 as well. Remember Google is your friend!

Jimmy

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
cman2007 said:
Ok... now what about a '95 cougar 4.6L??? I've seen manual conversion pics of 5.0s, but what about the 4.6L cougar?? I would love to have a 5 or 6 spd trans.

Clay
you might want to get in contact with cobrarthunder. i know he has done the manual swap on his 4.6 tbird. just pm him or something

·
Registered
178 Posts
I remember seeing an article on the 4.6L trans swap before but can't remember where I found it. It was a T-56 I think and had a homemade shifter linkage. I don't know if I'd like a 5spd in my heavy cougar though. I weighed it the other day and on a 1/4 tank fuel it weighed 3830lbs. I will try a stall TC and lower gears and see what I can accomplish with those before I get into a 5spd swap. I love driving manual cars its alot of fun.

Clay

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
cman2007 said:
I remember seeing an article on the 4.6L trans swap before but can't remember where I found it. It was a T-56 I think and had a homemade shifter linkage. I don't know if I'd like a 5spd in my heavy cougar though. I weighed it the other day and on a 1/4 tank fuel it weighed 3830lbs. I will try a stall TC and lower gears and see what I can accomplish with those before I get into a 5spd swap. I love driving manual cars its alot of fun.

Clay
did you look in the tech articles section of the site?

joseph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts