TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swaped in vicrattlehead's 96 stock turn signals (both mine were cracked), and low and behold, my right side turn signal is acting up. It flashes quickly telling me a bulb is gonna go out. Rear bulb flashes quickly, front bulb is on but won't flash.

Keith put these in by hand and the bulbs weren't touched.I checked:
turn signal fuse.
front/rear bulbs
wiring/connections to the bulbs.

I'm no electrician but is there a seperate piece in the car that controlls the flasher, and can it go bad?. The left turn signal works as well as the hazards (right side flashes normal)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
It is possible that when they were getting put in, your switch got shorted. However, which would you rather replace, a $2 bulb or a 30 something dollar switch?

the first thing is to check voltages. check on both sides of the bulb with reference to ground. if it's not the bulbs, and the voltages are different, then you need to find a wiring diagram. I don't know if the turn signals have relays or not, if they do, it could be a realy, and your switch is fine.

If you do need a switch, I can get one shipped to your door for $30 (long story). They list for $52 at ford.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
swap the bulb, see what happens, just take the corner off like i did to replace it to access the bulb.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already replaced the front bulb last night:(

I'll replace the rear bulb , but if it still flashes quick I hope I'm not screwed.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
RyanG said:
I'm no electrician but is there a seperate piece in the car that controlls the flasher, and can it go bad?. The left turn signal works as well as the hazards (right side flashes normal)
Did you check the turn signal flasher unit under the dash near the steering column? Perhaps it was shorted or damaged when you replaced the lights.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had this problem. Only thing that i had to do was push the bulb further into the socket(stupid japanese "hyper-white" bulbs). Now I have LED 3157's in the back so they flash quickly when they both work, and flash REALLY quick when one is out lol.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Like the others said, I'd double check the right side bulbs and connectors. Were the original signals working correctly before you replaced them? If so, I guess there's still a chance the changeover affected the flasher unit itself. I haven't looked myself, but according to the manual, the Electronic Flasher is located behind LH side of the instrument panel, left of steering column.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turned out to be the front bulb, I just took it out, put it back in harder and it works.

Thanks for that tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts