TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while, my right turn signal flashes real fast as if a bulb is out. I've checked the bulbs, and the wiring, and can't find anything wrong. Any ideas?

·
Registered
379 Posts
good info...
This may not relate, but whenever I turn on the windshield wipers on a setting other than the hi or low, there is this clicking sound: 2 clicks right before the blades go. It sounds like it's coming from the turn signal switch which is where the wiper settings are. Any ideas...it's kind of annoying :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
change the multi function switch. It controls all of that. I had no taillamps, turn signals, or wipers. I ultimately swapped the mfs out. In the interim, press the hazard light switch up and down a few times and see if that fixes it. It wont be permanent but it should work for the time being

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
You have the option of fixing the MFS rather than replacing it.

I bought my '96 when it had 48k miles on it, and the turn signals worked 50% of the time. The fault was traced to the MFS when tapping the hazard switch would affect the performance of the signals.
I removed the switch from the column (easy), took it apart (easy), and cleaned off all of the copper contacts, which were very corroded, and applied dielectric grease. I've put an additional 40k miles on that switch with zero problems.
Save yourself some money and fix it; it's an easy Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I just recently ahd to fix my MFS i just took a wire bush on my drill and cleaned the copper right up in about 3 seconds. Putting it back together corrctly is the fun part however;)

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
good info...
...there is this clicking sound: 2 clicks right before the blades go. It sounds like it's coming from the turn signal switch which is where the wiper settings are.
Normal for that to be heard. It's a relay in the Integrated Control Module, cycling the wipers. The ICM is attached to the fuse panel under the dash, so that's why it sounds so close to the wiper switch.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Use search; there are at least two writeups on how to fix the MFS.

This is your problem, most likely; I've had to refurb both of mine.

Watch out for your brake lights or tail lights not working; both go thru that switch.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Blue Stuff"

Is it possible to use some kind of spray, such as "Blue Stuff", as a cleaner/lubricant, which is a mild abrasive? That is, remove the shrouds and spray the switch if their is an opening for the spray to penetrate?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
its not really that hard to pull apart and clean with a scotch pad. there is a hoel you can spry into but i doubt its going to get all the areas internally cleaned well enough youd be better off just taking the time to pull it apart and make sure its all cleaned out

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read the procedure on how to remove the MFS. How difficult is it to remove the tilt steering wheel lock lever and ignition switch lock cylinder? Any special tools needed? And, is it really necessary to remove these two items to replace the MFS?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts