TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low mileage '96 TB LX V6. Two years ago I had a mechanic replace the Multi Function Switch on the steering column. Since then the lever has always been a little stiff when activating it for a left turn, and in the last couple of months, sometimes it just doesn't travel all the way to turn on. Now the turn signal lever doesn't return either on a left or right turn, and I have to manually turn it off. Are there replaceable springs in the switch, or will the entire switch have to be replaced again?

Ken

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question. However I installed an aftermarket multi function switch in my Cougar, and the switch has a noticeably less smooth operation than the factory one. The Standard Motor Product brand I installed feels a lot less quality; will not be surprised if it doesn't last very long.

It will be getting replaced with an OEM Motorcraft brand.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
^^Actually, you did answer his question! I agree, stick a new Motorcraft in there.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
It's pretty easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the stock switch; it only takes about a half hour.

There's a bit of slop in the mounting bolts; it could be interfering with the steering column cover.

You will have to take the cover off to look at it.

See if it works with the cover off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The switch that the mechanic installed is a BWD-S3216, and partstech.com shows that has a 3 year 36,000 warranty - surprising. I'm going to call the mechanic and ask him if that's correct. I've been reading forum posts about replacing it yourself, and am not sure. One thing - how do you remove the tilt lever?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
IIRC, you don't remove the tilt lever. You do have to remove the plastics, which can be tedious. May have to remove the ignition switch to get them all the way off. Basically, if something is even partially blocking another thing, it has to come off. If you try to sneak it past, it might break.

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this issue since last year. Its probably the least of my concerns but Id love to know how you get it back in order

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Take it off, and take it apart carefully, there are springs involved, and take pix as you do it so you can get it back together.

The whole thing will need to be cleaned out, the grease has turned solid.

You clean it, sand all the contacts with 220 grit sandpaper until they look bright, reassemble it, and fill it with Dielectric Grease.

Or, you buy a new one. :)
It's called an MFS.

Here's a cheap replacement:

They aren't available from Ford anymore, so I'd rebuild yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts