TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knew what the preferrred setting on the tv cable is for the 3.8 in my 90 bird

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Attaching a pressure gauge to the TV port, using a gauge to get it to a certain PSI at idle in neutral. I don't have the specifics, I think you are aiming for 5psi at idle.

I just used the tech article steps when I did mine. I don't remember what car I did this on and it had a different setup, might have been the 89 Cougar, but I don't think so, I think it was an older Grand Marquis.

Make sure you have the brass TV bushing!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I used the tech article to do mine. it tells you to pull it all the way out and measure a few things and mark it. I did all the measurements and were I ended up was already marked! I don't know if the factory marks it? or if someone before me already did this!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somebody would of aalready marked it. I did that pulling it out deal and got it set towards the middle and works real good.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yup, and I pulled mine just a little farther out to stiffen up the shifts a bit and it also allows OD to come in around 50mph instead of 40mph, which decreses transmission temps driving around town.
-Thomas

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah, i did that on mine, now it holds 1st til like 15 and second til almost 27. Probably a little hard, but my transmission just got rebuilt, and when they did it I don't think they did the TV, because it would almost stall sometimes, like it would shift into 3rd in the teens. And I think now it downshifts at higher speeds than it did before, but maybe not.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
So changing the position alters the shift point? When mine shifts are around 40 mph, it falls on its face. It just doesn't want to go it seems at that point. Should I try changing the cable? It's still the stock transmission.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah, it will change the shift points, but not on WOT. It shifts very hard, so it might mess something up. Anyoone know more about this?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yeah, it will change the shift points, but not on WOT. It shifts very hard, so it might mess something up. Anyoone know more about this?
Not true, raising or lowering the throttle valve pressure can raise or lower your shift points, even at WOT.

If your pressure is too low, you will shift into the next gear waaaay too soon. This means the clutches are under less pressure and they are slipping a lot too, this means your transmission will die very shortly after. This is why you should replace your plastic retainer bushing with a brass one from Ford or HELP! also makes one too.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
So what are the exact shift points on a stock 3.8, not at WOT? I'm thinking mine needs to be adjusted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts