TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this TV for about a year and a half. I turn it on today and it looks like someone took a huge magnet to the tv. I have the Sony 32" Trinitron High Defiinition. Any TV experts? Or do I have to buy another, are the lcd projection tv's reliable?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
odds are one of the magnets that keep the pixels aligned dislogded. if that's the case, it might not be TOO bad to repair. Look in the phone book for tv repair and give them a call.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
If it happens again and unplugging it doesnt help try finding a repair shop that will sell/rent you a magnet wand. All you do is plug it in and wave it around the tv.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
depends on whether or not there is good shielding in place :)

they do sell high quality speakers that don't cause that kind of interference

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking it might not have been getting enough power? Meaning the battery backup may be slowly dying. The TV is in my closet with speakers mounted in my upper corner wall so no magnets are near it. The sub is 8 feet away from it and 2 feet away from my pc ;) Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
246 Posts
8ate8 said:
do you have a speaker sitting on top of the tv? that will cause that.

UHOH ....never thought about that. I have my center speaker for my surround sound sitting on top of my TV..........is it gonna wreck anything? That was the recommended placement.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
94T-Bird, Check the back of the speaker it should say if it is a shielded speaker. It should also say it in the manual.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
94T-Bird said:
UHOH ....never thought about that. I have my center speaker for my surround sound sitting on top of my TV..........is it gonna wreck anything? That was the recommended placement.
Most center channel speakers that are from a surround speaker system have the necessary shielding. Unless they are very, very low quality. :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
teenageriot13 said:
I've had this TV for about a year and a half. I turn it on today and it looks like someone took a huge magnet to the tv. I have the Sony 32" Trinitron High Defiinition. Any TV experts? Or do I have to buy another, are the lcd projection tv's reliable?
I feel your pain.... try this one on for size…

I'm watching my 61" projection TV and the lights "brown".... the display shrinks to about 30", skews, and rotates 45 degrees!!!!! “This does not bode well!!!” $600 later it's fine!!!! :redmad:

The same time as the TV failure, I went to my PC to look up a service center to repair the TV.... and the PC won't power on.... fried power supply.... $100 (and lots of my time restoring a very unhappy OS/hard drive...) and it's fine. :redmad:

I had a "discussion" with the power company about their crappy power at my house. Their exact words: "Yeah, we have a few trees hitting the lines in your area. We're working on getting them cleaned up".

Every critical item in my house is now on an UPS. (I was amazed at how little current a 61" TV draws!!!) It's awesome to continue watching TV with no power in the house. :D

Glad you got yours fixed with just a power reset. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
246 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I feel your pain.... try this one on for size…

I'm watching my 61" projection TV and the lights "brown".... the display shrinks to about 30", skews, and rotates 45 degrees!!!!! “This does not bode well!!!” $600 later it's fine!!!! :redmad:

The same time as the TV failure, I went to my PC to look up a service center to repair the TV.... and the PC won't power on.... fried power supply.... $100 (and lots of my time restoring a very unhappy OS/hard drive...) and it's fine. :redmad:

I had a "discussion" with the power company about their crappy power at my house. Their exact words: "Yeah, we have a few trees hitting the lines in your area. We're working on getting them cleaned up".

Every critical item in my house is now on an UPS. (I was amazed at how little current a 61" TV draws!!!) It's awesome to continue watching TV with no power in the house. :D

Glad you got yours fixed with just a power reset. :thumbsup:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a UPS?
I am guesing U- power source????

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Uninterruptible Power Supply. :thumbsup:

Basically a battery backup. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts