TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quad turbos are so much cooler! Well this should be the last design change for the turbo car theres lots of work ahead but i have most of the parts.

I know I know "hes gone too far!" I can already hear kd now so I'm goin get up out of here now and retreat to my hiding spot :zwall:

And your already asking what about the radiator right? Well im going with a 13-14" high (oem rad is 19") dual core aftermarket radiator that the turbos will peer out over

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Dude you're a goof! hahaha!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
.......i dont know what to say to this, i thought you would have had at lease ONE working setup by now...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i did i drove the car around for weeks using it as a daily driver spooling a small single turbo that pushed 8psi but i built it to be a temp setup. Now im heading towards what i really want to do with it. 4 very small turbos that the 4.6L should spool easily, high and dry under the oem hoodline, routing for full exhaust, high enough for effecient oil return to pan....

Also Ill be building the new hotside off of the already flipped manifolds that are already bolted to the car. funny people always said theres no room in a MN12 bay for a turbo and now Im going to put 4 under the hood of a mn12 it also should be the first quad turbo 4.6L. Two of the turbos are in great shape two of them will need to be rebuilt but you can actually find rebuilt and balanced Te04h center section for cheap. Also as far as cheap goes ive spent less than 120$ on all four turbochargers. I pulled each one off of a turbo dodge which is a pain in the rear as you have to pull the head and turbo together. I got so used to doing it the last 2 only took a half hour each

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I hope this is a joke. If not, I would consider how much these cars already have a tendency to overheat with the full size radiator. Not to mention you'd be far better off just buying a brand new cheap single turbo, things like the masterpower T70 sell on ebay for only about $600.Of course that is big enough to actually make power, so if you tried to use another junky stock engine it would break instantly.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No joke sorry KD they do fit and ive never had overheating issues. Actually since there are 4 turbochargers that mean they all have to work less together to flow enough air for 8 psi. Which equalls low IATs and reduced turbocharger wear. Also they shoud still spool fast as they are said to be too small for the 2.2L motors they come off of. The exhaust housings are tiny tiny .38ar housings. response still shoudlnt be an issue. Also as long as the dual core radiator has enough volume and i have enough fan cfm it will be ok. Also two of the turbos have no play one was rebuilt actually funny enough. I paid the least for the rebuilt one (17$) as for two of them they have play but TEo4hs are like pennies; they are plenty and no one wants them as they are commonly even too small for the honda1.6L guys. Im not done yet stick around Quad Turbocharged MN12 4.6L. Oh if i break the motor ill get another one :thumbsup:

PS flanges should be on the way soon (the distributor told me 2-3 weeks until he restocks them) then ill have 100% materials for the hotside. Im using the oem wastegates which are set at 8-9 psi which is fine for a stock 4.6L

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,830 Posts
funny people always said theres no room in a MN12 bay for a turbo and now Im going to put 4 under the hood of a mn12 it also should be the first quad turbo 4.6L.
Well, i'm sure you could fit at least 4 more if you find some more vital cooling system parts to move in front of the core support:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only paid 200 for my Pi motor hows that for a budget. Also in the 2 years that ive been building differnet turbo setups ive only spent hundreds not thousands. some guys spend 7k for a basic turbo kit for a 4.6L

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
how are you going to rout the cooling hose to the engine from the radiator....seems like it would have to go very close to any one of those turbos...also i don't know how in the hello your going to rout all that pipe.... off each manifold(so 2 pipes) split into 4 pies for each turbo, then 4 piped into 1 for the TB....i am going to love to see how this piping goes when u get to doing it lol

regardless of if its reasonable or worth it, its going to be interesting how THIS one pans out lol

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,830 Posts
I only paid 200 for my Pi motor hows that for a budget. Also in the 2 years that ive been building differnet turbo setups ive only spent hundreds not thousands. some guys spend 7k for a basic turbo kit for a 4.6L
Not everyone can find complete motors for $200 in running condition, how many miles are on yours btw?

I know you spent hundreds not thousands, it shows. However, I dont know how you can compare a thrown together junkyard build cost (using nothing but used junk) to a full blown $7000 aftermarket kit that comes with mandrel bent pre routed tubing, hardware, turbo, intercooler, and everything else needed. There is a good budget medium for home grown build ups and it takes something called "planning". After figuring out your own budget, what pipe sizes and what parts to use for the best setup, all it takes is putting it together, which can be done for much less than $7000.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
ya man! i wish i lived closer. i'd love to give you a hand in this one. by the way... you gatta change yir name to quadraturbo281

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
i figgure he's gonna do a tem setup to get her runnin as a quad setup then when he gest the cash, he'll start upgradin his equipment

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now you see why I dub this project "wind talker" as it should talk like the wind

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,818 Posts
My Q is on the exhaust from the turbos? They are so close together I dont see how its going to fit

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nevermind how about it should kick ###

1 - 20 of 794 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.