TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I broke the top of my radiator trying to swap out the fan and while trying to swap out the radiator twisted the top cooler line closed while loosening the fitting about 1" from the radiator. Can I buy a new fitting for the radiator side and connect a small piece of trans cooler line to it with hose clamps?

It was suggested to cut the fitting off right after the twist on the transmission side and replace the fitting adding a short piece of trans cooler line with hose clamps.

Any idea what parts are required and their sizes? Should I have just taken off the smaller pieces of the fittings and left the larger pieces in the old radiator? I have not fully removed the bottom line yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm planning on swapping out the twisted section tonight. Anyone know what the outside diameter of the factory line?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Other people have driven for years after cutting the ATF cooling "hard lines" and replacing them with flexible hose -- provided the hose is high temp rated. They do this to hook up an aftermarket transmission cooler.

I've done the same on my track car and what I learned was the following:
1) Use two clamps on each end of the connection. It may seem like overkill but this would turn a potential gush into a dribble if one clamp gives out.
2) Use quality clamps. The ones from Harbor Freight are prone to stripping if yuo tighten them beyond a certain point.

I believe i used a transmission cooler hose with an ID of 3/8". YOu should bring in the cut section yourself for comparison.

-g

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If you have enough lengths of untwisted line on the transmission side and the radiator side, you can just cut out the bad spot and clamp the two pieces of line together with trans cooler hose (5/16" ID) and I would double clamp them as well, like s4gunn said. If it is twisted too close to the radiator, you will need to get a hose barb fitting that screws into the trans cooler on the radiator. IIRC, one end of the barb has male pipe thread, the other end needs a 5/16" barb. Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Last thing I want to do is get ready to put it all together and have the wrong size hose after all the parts stores close.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The factory line is 5/16 and the hose should be the same, coolers come with a mid size that fits either. Sounds like time to put a cooler on and make the breaks look intentional. DO NOT FORGET TO FLARE THE LINES.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
I made this work of art while talking to a buddy and not watching what I was doing so don't feel too bad.

-Scott
That's artistic, for sure. :)

I was working on something similar when I pulled my original engine out of the Red Cougar; Hacksaws were made for stuff like that. :)

Amazing what you can do when you can't see your hands, lol.

BTW, did you ever post up any pix of your cars anywhere? I saw the other ones before the hosting problem, and wish I'd saved them. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts