TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation: I'm getting into this new job I picked up and I'm starting to build a customer contact list. Before I begin getting too deep into this, I want to separate my personal contacts from my business contacts; members of my team, customers, etc. To do this, I've created a Google Hangouts phone number and received a phone number from Google to use on my phone.

Problem: Whenever someone calls my Google Hangouts number, both my built-in phone dialer and Google Hangouts Dialer open up and start ringing almost simultaneously. I've noticed that if my phone is locked, I can close the built-in dialer and then the Google Hangouts dialer will open shortly after, but the phone call will go straight to voicemail for the one who calls me. If my phone is unlocked for whatever reason, my phone dialer will still open first and almost immediately after the Google Hangouts dialer will open. I can close the built-in dialer and then use only the Google Hangouts dialer without issue and be on the call.

Desired solution: I'd like that for whenever anyone calls me on my Google provided number, that ONLY my Google Hangouts dialer be the one that rings instead of both REGARDLESS if my phone is locked or unlocked. Is there a way to make this work?

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Pull up Google Voice, the settings for what incoming calls do should be in there. You can have it go to a mobile device, or not. But it will always ring in hangouts to my knowledge. So if I read you right, just tell it in settings to no longer redirect to your mobile number, just your hangouts number.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Google Voice has been integrated into Google Hangouts.

No such setting exists in Google Hangouts. There is a setting in there to turn off Incoming Phone Calls, which I just literally tested, and it forces the caller to say, "State your name and Google Voice will try and connect you". Afterwards, when I receive the phone call, I have to press 1 to accept the call from my phone's built-in dialer!

Not sure if that's the solution I want, but it's a solution that might work.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Very interesting. I wonder if they're not letting people sign up for Voice and are simply carrying service for those who have been grandfathered in. I've had my Google Voice number for close to 5 years now.

I have all those settings still...

·
Banned
575 Posts
Was just browsing and saw this..
There are other options if its a cell phone..you can download texting and calling apps that give you an alternate phone number to use of your picking.
Nice thing is some use Wi-Fi so your phones Wi-Fi signal can be used to make contact when you don't have cell signal. It comes in very useful in the boondocks like me..I actually use the app as my main number due to the cell coverage up here.

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
There are other options if its a cell phone..you can download texting and calling apps that give you an alternate phone number to use of your picking.
Nice thing is some use Wi-Fi so your phones Wi-Fi signal can be used to make contact when you don't have cell signal. It comes in very useful in the boondocks like me..I actually use the app as my main number due to the cell coverage up here.
I'm up to carrying three cell phones - a Sprint, a Verizon, and an AT&T - due to how spotty coverage is around where I live.

So I'm now giving my old Google Voice number out (yah, I'm grandfathered in.)

RwP

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I'm up to carrying three cell phones - a Sprint, a Verizon, and an AT&T - due to how spotty coverage is around where I live.

So I'm now giving my old Google Voice number out (yah, I'm grandfathered in.)

RwP
If you wanted to increase your coverage for minimal (maybe no) additional cost, you could replace the sprint phone with a Google Fi phone since Google's service uses both Sprint, Tmobile, and US Cellular's networks. The only catch is that you will need a Google Nexus or Pixel phone

https://fi.google.com/about/plan/

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
If you wanted to increase your coverage for minimal (maybe no) additional cost, you could replace the sprint phone with a Google Fi phone since Google's service uses both Sprint, Tmobile, and US Cellular's networks. The only catch is that you will need a Google Nexus or Pixel phone

https://fi.google.com/about/plan/
I probably will when my current phone is paid off in the monthly plan I'm on now.

RwP

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've kinda stopped playing around with this for some time. I was never able to resolve the issue I had going on in my OP where my Google Hangouts Dialer as well as my built-in phone dialer would both click on whenever I received a phone call to my Google Hangouts account.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I already have two phones because of my employer. I don't want to lug around a 3rd phone. If I can get it to work the way I want it to work, I can start my side-gig without having to give out my personal number.

GH is an ideal solution if I can get it to work without having calls also click on my built-in dialer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts