TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally get back online....and tonight, 2 weeks before the Nat's...this happens----the GAWD DERN HEATER CORE BLEW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already know it's a dash pull too........DAMN IT !!!!!! Any suggestions or advice????

What makes this even worse is I'm suppossed to get my windows tinted today (Saturday) and this is the only time the guy can do it before the Nat's.....not sure if I'll be able to get it done still or not. Man this is depressing.

Later all........and it's nice to be back !!!!!!

Slowride

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
Hehe,
I've done mine twice slowride. Not fun. You can "postpone" it for as long as you like by bypassing the heater core. Just get a heater hose and bypass it in the engine compartment next to the firewall passanger side.

JH

seabass said:
bah...who needs heat

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question on changing cores......

I know it's a dash puul....but in my Chilton and Haynes manuals........they say the AC system needs to be discharged. Is it really necessary to do that or can you change the heater core without doing that???

Any help is appreciated.

Slowride

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Get ahold of me and I will help you out. I would suggest bypassing it for the nats and tackle the job after. Let me know what you want to do. I be glad to give ya a hand.

later,
jay

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
Re: Question on changing cores......

No, I did not discharge the a/c in mine. I think sir william did a writeup on tips for doing the heater core. When you are done put a grounding strap on your heater hose to prevent it from happening again.

JH
Slowride said:
I know it's a dash puul....but in my Chilton and Haynes manuals........they say the AC system needs to be discharged. Is it really necessary to do that or can you change the heater core without doing that???

Any help is appreciated.

Slowride

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Yeah. It's not bad at all to do without discharging the AC. I did my second one in less than 6 hours. :D

I'll look for the writeup and post it again. If you don't find it by the time you need it, remind me.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dash removal started......SPIDEY----better get your butt over here.......

SO far so good.......got all the trim panels out and almost all of the wireing harnesses disconnected........should be ready to remove dash tonight (Monday). All that's left is the steering column....then the dash.

Hopefully everything continues going smoothly.....I do have some touch up to do on my white trim panels now.........oh well, it'll just keep me busy until the Nat's. *LOL*

Spidey........stop over anytime SOON........I'll be in the garage every night until it's back together......come to far to turn back now. *LOL*

Later all.
Slowride

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
BTW, you do not have to remove the steering column. No biggie. It will move back with the rest of the dash. You just have to unbolt the u-joint.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Ok I will post a update since slowrides prolly sleeping now. Dash is out with pretty much everything else in the front of the car except to seats lol. hose are off the heater core and its out. BUT the replacement heater core he got is fubared. See ills.

As you can tell in my wonderfull drawing the tubes on the orignal and the tubes on the replace ment are nothing alike. With the replace ment you cant even put it back into place much less hook the hoses back up to it. So needless to say we got to track down the right part.

c ya later after i sleep,
jay

·
Registered
39 Posts
Make sure to put a restrictor in.

Put a restrictor on the inlet side of the heater core. I think Dan at five star knows the part number of the one they use in the Mustang's or make your own from a brass pipe fitting. Make the restrictor about 1/4" to 3/8". This will keep excessive pressure off the heater core from the water pump.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cat is now driveable.

Everything back together but trim panels....which I have to touch up first. It was actually easier putting her back together than taking her apart. *LOL*

The heater core I got the first time from Auto Zone....was completely wrong---See Spidey's post with illistration. Turns out...the one they gave was for the 5.0's and 3.8's----question....my mom's '96 Bird has the 3.8 and uses same core as me ('97 Cougar 4.6)....could the differrence be AC or no AC??? Anyways....toook it back, and got the right one from dealership----went in kind of difficult through the front seal due to the angle of the tubes.....but wasn't too bad. After that, the rest was pretty easy. Only bad thing is I found out I have a bad tweeter.....but that's a farily simple change / swap. *S*

See all next weekend!!!!!!!!

Slowride

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
When did ya do it. Stopped and drove by a few times never saw ya working. I might have a new alum driveshaft if I can get Eric to come off it lol. Ummm get a hold of me I am pretty much ready to get that wheel bearing fixed. Also hopefully order some springs in a about a week. Still dont know what I am going to do about shocks.

later,
jay

·
Registered
215 Posts
Slowride

Im headin up to NATs on Friday afternoon...probably about 2:00,what time you leaving?Spidey are you still not goin? How bout Eric or Chris with the green 5.0 from Dayton? Come on guys ...Ohio needs to bring it STRONG at mn12's.......Got the radiator in,now runs cooler than an ice cream truck...Fresh new bottle of N20 just waitin for the trip.........See ya there......LAter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts