TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the deal with a typhoon intake for a 4.6? Good bad otherwise.
Didn't buy one yet. Have a pi 4.6 in my cat.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ive heard nothing but bad things about it. Saying it flows like chit and the casting is terrible.

Not worth it imo,plenty other intake options out there. Also the pi intake is plenty good even for modified cars. If you have a car with a power adder and rev the engine relatively high, then you may see a benefit from a different intake otherwise id stick with the PI.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
You can find them as low as 200$ on craigs list and ebay once in a while makes ou wonder why there so cheap

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
does Ford still make the SVO intake? From what I've read, it works great on NPI and PI heads. I wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rest of the eng will be cams and 12 - 1 comp.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Whats the deal with a typhoon intake for a 4.6? Good bad otherwise.
Didn't buy one yet. Have a pi 4.6 in my cat.
why not search for a used Bullitt manifold?

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont know enough, about the 4.6 intakes. Cant find flow numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
you gotta realize... they will claim it gains HP and what not but in reality... it's usually on a fully built Supercharged application. The PI intake is your best bet for a N/A setup. It's cheap, readily available, and easy to install. I doubt you'll be spinning much over 6300RPM unless your like one person on these boards who wants to spin 250k RPM ;) The PI intake is the best bang for the buck. The only reason I have a bullitt is cuz it came installed in the car.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Well... HPS says supercharged gives you more HP gains. The HPS intake is can be modified if and when you upgrade your engine. It can grow with you...

Part of the design for the HPS 4.6L SOHC PI intake was to allow the owner the ability to adjust the runner length and diameter. The intake comes with those angle wedges on the inside of the plenum. These "wedges" add runner length. They can be shortened/ removed for pure race applications (or a 5.0L stroker). Typical 4.6L NA runners are around 9.5-10.5" long. Shorter for higher RPM top end applications.

I have a bullitt intake and I tried to shorten the runners (that is another story) and port it. Quite frankly there is not much room to port a bullitt intake. The walls are thin. Extrude horning is a good option for the bullitt.

Besides the runner differences the HPS intake has other advantages over the bullitt intake. It has a larger plenium which gives the NA boys an air charge off the line. It also allows the engine to breathe easier.

One more benefit is if you have a 96/ 97 engine you do not have to replace your air intake tube. Do the swap with the stock tube and fuel rails. You can always upgrade that area later.

I have not tried this intake myself. I have a different engine. I get nothing from the sales. The only reason I am telling you about it is because I contributed with some input in the initial design. So I know a little about it and I think it is cool.

Call them up and get some runner and other dimensions. Get an overall height. Ask them if the dynos were NA or not. If not ask them for some NA dynos with mod lists. Compare the modifications with what you plan to do. Then look at your wallet and choose what is best for you. Who knows you may end up with the chinese intake. :D

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its on.

The typhoon works well. But its kind of expensive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts