TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set off of eBay (here) because I read on here that the 96-98 cobra ones will work. Well, first off, if I tighten the alt. bolt to tight, the pulley won't spin. The pulley did seem a little loose on the stud, but it doesn't wobble. Should I not be using air on these? Second, I can't for the life of me get the crank bolt loose. The impact wrench just spins inside of the socket. Do I need a stronger one? Thanks for any help.

Preston

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
did you say that you have alt pulley problems? well, when i put mine in, i bought them used and they didnt come with the pulley spacer and tim tightened it down all the way...me not knowing i needed the spacer. We took it off and replaced it with the OE pulley and it was all good. If you dont have airtools to do the crank, ive read, i think Greenbird posted, to put a long socket on the TC drain bolt to loosen the crank bolt, i know it sounds risky but i would use a breaker and a strap wrench..of course friends and airtools go together like beer and football.

joseph

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've thought about using the drain bolt, but that scares me. I tried putting a wrench on the torque convertor bolts, but all that does is loosen them. Maybe I'll try the drain bolt....

Preston

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
TurboCat said:
Do all brands of pulleys (specifically March ) require an alternator pulley spacer?

i think so...the March(Ford Motorsport) ones come with a spacer. Tim had his old ones and had the spacer we used to test fit, so i think so. There are really only two major companies with quality ones...March which also makes the Motorsport ones and ASP which makes the Steeda ones..of course there is MAC but i havent read shiney things about their quality, you usually get what you pay for.

joseph

·
Registered
811 Posts
What is an alternator pulley spacer? I have a set of March pullies and I'm using the OEM alternator pulley with no problems. :confused:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
steeda doesn't come with a spacer.. (or piggyback either :tongue: )

i don't have my alt pulley on.. when idle.. lights are on ok, i tap gas.. all lights get brighter.. heheh

JD

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yea, the steeda's dont come with a spacer and their alt pulley fits just fine. I didnt have any trouble at all getting my crank bolt loose. just have a friend get under the car and hold the flywheel with a screwdriver or something else. you can see the flywheel when you remove the tourque converter drain plug.

Frank

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
yea, the steeda's dont come with a spacer and their alt pulley fits just fine. I didnt have any trouble at all getting my crank bolt loose. just have a friend get under the car and hold the flywheel with a screwdriver or something else. you can see the flywheel when you remove the tourque converter drain plug.

Frank
You don't wanna remove the TC drain plug. Just the rubber plug that is in the TC drain plug access hole.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
RAYBROADWAY said:
What is an alternator pulley spacer? I have a set of March pullies and I'm using the OEM alternator pulley with no problems. :confused:
the spacer is only required with the under driven alt pulley.

joseph

·
Registered
811 Posts
Gotcha' thanks!:D

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
AverageJoe said:

You don't wanna remove the TC drain plug. Just the rubber plug that is in the TC drain plug access hole.
yea, thats what i meant. thanks for the correction.

Frank

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
For the crank: Get a breaker bar and a buddy with a strap wrench. I used a 24" breaker.

Most of the gain from UD's comes from the undersized crank pulley. You could leave the stock Alt and water pump pulleys.
Need the larger water pump pulley to take up the slack of the smaller crank pulley.

Alt pulley is roughly the same size, but it is slighty smaller.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would leave the stock ALT. Pulley on. From what I've read AND experienced...there's not that much of a differrence between the two...and is so much easier to deal with if you ever have to change the ALT.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved, I just decided to say "fudge" it and not do it all. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

Preston

·
Registered
621 Posts
SmallTownBird said:
Problem solved, I just decided to say "fudge" it and not do it all. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

Preston
Good thing you didn't waste the effort, seeing as how it would not have fit correctly anyways. The difference between the Cobra and GT kits is the alternator pulley -- a Steeda rep. said that. Though, when I did mines, we just took it to PepBoys and they were more than happy to do it for free.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I talked to someone at March Performance earlier today and he told me the March pulleys come with 2 alternator pulley spacers. He's sending some my way tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do the spacers look like? There were three washers that came with my pullies that were too big to go with the crank bolts, would those be the spacers?

Preston

1 - 20 of 20 Posts