TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
U/D Pulleys and Smog Pump (belt Q)

Has anyone used ASP U/D pulleys and also deleted the smog pump from the belt system? If so, what size serpentine belt did you use? My friend is guessing an 895K6.

Thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
154 Posts
I explained this on the board once before, but here goes again.. the easiest way to size a new belt (provided you are going smaller) is to use the old belt, put it on, and use a pair of needle nose vise grips to take up a loop of the slack on top... that way you can check the tensioner and make sure that you've got enough movement left when the new belt stretches etc... once you've found a good length, pull the old belt with the vise grips still attached and then go to the parts store. Keep checking against what you've got until you have a good match... this method has worked flawlessly every time for me.

-Jim A.

·
Registered
647 Posts
That sounds like a great method to find a custom belt size, better than the string method methinks. I'll be using it soon when I remove my air pump as well...thanks Jim...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got done putting in the ASP U/D Pulleys and taking out the smog pump this morning, and it was a hassle. The belt size I used was almost too short. If anyone is going to do this project, I say pick up a 900K6 belt instead of the 895K6 I used. When we finally got the belt around the tensioner, and the clutch fan back in the performance gains were noticeable. Feels much smoother during acceleration.

·
Registered
366 Posts
did you need to use the smog pump deleate pulley? or did you just use a shorter belt? I want to get rid of mine, the pump is only 2 years old, but while its out of the car now (with the rest of the motor) it is already very hard to turn by hand.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took out the smog pump to free up a bit more horse power (prob. about 5hp). I used a shorter belt to bypass the pump itself, then I took off the whole pump and capped the tubes that were connected to it.

To answer your question, I used a shorter belt. You will have it really easy to the pump off now that the engine is out. Three bolts and a silly connector to a resevoir. Good Luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i know how hard it was... it was a ***** to get it out when i replaced it two years ago... i think it took me 4 hours to do and once i got it off the motor i couldnt get it out!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Was JUST informed by my local parts store what those numbers mean:2huh:

90 inches long 6 rib...900K6(obsolete) and KO6090

89.5 inch long 6 rib....895K6

so forth and so on

maybe you guys knew this...but it's news to me!!

:D

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Here is the belt I had to get.It was like 92 1/2 inches long.The part number from Napa is 25-060919 and the price is 34.99.Here are some pics of it.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with that extra large water pump pulley coming close to the balancer? After I put on my Romac balancer which is a lot thicker than OEM it came so close to the pulley that I had to use some washers to space the water pump pulley out some.

-J

·
2,530 Posts
Mine is fine but I just put it on.It is close but I am not to worried about it.
Chris

·
2,530 Posts
How do i tell the difference?I am sure it is OEM because I never changed it or did the previous owner.
Chris

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You'd know if it was a Romac, ATI, Powerbond because they are pretty pricey compared to OEM, plus last alot longer; they also have less tendency to rust.

·
ChatWhore
159 Posts
That is a brand new stock balancer on Chris's car I installed it not too long ago. I also have the stock one on my 91 with no clearance problems on the water pump, but my new belt routing forced the removal of the larger water pump pulley. Now it looks funny with the water pump and the crank pulley being the same size.

-Alan

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Was just wondering if any of you guys had any aftermarket balancers and problems with that huge water pump pulley touching it.

-J

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm just curious....how does spacing the w/p pulley forward get you clearance between it and the balancer, they are still the same distance apart.

oh and by the way unless you used washers exactly the same thickness you will probably have a wobble, and wear w/p bearings prematurely.

Mike :confused:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'd much rather replace a water pump (lifetime warranty) than an almost $300 balancer. Also as far as moving it out, it was just barely touching it the back rim of pulley wiht the top outer part of balancer, so with the washers, it moves the w/p pulley out further so that it's not in far enough to even be close to the balancer. If that's hard to follow let me know and I'll take a picture.

-J

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are those stock pullies in that pic, LX?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts