TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know id think they be more topics on this. I looked didnt see any. Well i have a problem. It seems when ever i start moving i here an clunk not all the time tho. And when i was backing up a hill it clunked real bad when i put it in R. My buddy thinks its Ujoints and as i understand it they are cheap and easy enofe to do. He said i should replace the cir-clips too. What are they anyways? i figure id replace them both at once. its that or the ball joints what do you guys think? Also anyone know a step by step walk tro for Ujoints? ty

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Well, the following post is rather lengthy, but it's the U-joint procedure from the 1995 Service manual:

I hope this helps, as I am not certain at all what is meant by the "clip" replacement.

Good luck to you.

--Pete

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woo that confusd me ever more. lol ahh

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
As far as I know, a circlip or C-clip is basically just a type of snap ring.

·
Registered
437 Posts
C-Clip vs. Cir-Clip!!!

The C-Clip is used to hold the axles in the differential, of a solid 8.8" axle car. It's sorta like a Lg. flat washer, with one side cut out. Hence the "C" name.

A Cir-Clip holds the axle stub in the differential of an 8.8" IRS car. It's like a split, spring steel O-Ring. It goes around the axle stub. When the stub is inserted into the side gear, the Cir-Clip expands into a groove cut in the side gear.

I have no idea why your friend thinks that the Cir-Clips need to be replaced, (maybe he has NO IDEA either!!!!!). Cir-Clips will not cause the problem you described.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Changing U joints isn't always as easy as it looks... and they'll usually make a terrible squeaking noise that goes up with speed when they die. I think I'd be sure that's what I needed before I tackled it.

Get her up in the air on a lift and check for looseness anywhere under the rear end... nothing should move when you push/pull on the drive shaft, the pumpkin, the half shafts or the spindles. Check the sway bar too. Once you've found what's loose you'll know what to buy. If it's making all that racket something is going to be loose... My guess is your IRS center section bushings are shot, lots of posts about that.

I haven't done 'Bird u joints (mine have 130k on 'em) but Chevy ones have a C clip that holds the caps in place, maybe that's what his friend meant. You know the Chevy guys don't always know what's up ;)

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
hmm.. replaced tranny mount, diff bushings, and u-joints with all new (rubber, polyurethane and HD respectively)... still get the clunk every once in a while..

JD

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just did U joints on my bird, dont do like me, have your shaft with everything on it balanced BEFORE you put it back in. And the 8 dollar U joint comes with new clips all around, so thats not even an issue. I had to hammer mine to make the last clip go in, I guess it seats the needle bearings too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts