TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Midwest Road Safety Facility here at the University of Nebraska as been working to build the SAFER walls like were used at Indy this year. They are starting testing now on walls that have curve to them for short tracks and crash tested a Petty Enterprises Intrepid yesterday. I missed the crash test itself but know one of the guys that works for MwRSF and he showed some of us the wrecked car last night.

They did the test at 135 mph at a 20 degree angle into a standard wall to get a baseline. Speed is achieved using two 454 dually trucks, one with a supercharger and one with a big shot of nitrous pulling cables through a 6:1 pulley set up (car moves 6 times distance/speed trucks move). The trucks have the power adders to accelerate them in a short space, they can't shift out of 1st gear due to the shift creating slack in the cables and causing problems, pretty intense set up.

The car was completely demolished, this is a much harder impact than any NASCAR ever actually strikes the wall, I was told that even though impacts on TV look like they are at large angles, cameras are very decieveing when it comes to angles and 20 degrees is really quite larege for a crash. The engine was pushed back about 3 and a half feet, the radiator somewhat resembles a pretzel, the right front tire was pushed back into what would be the footwell of the passenger compartment on a street car. A dummy was in the car, the helmet cracked in three places, the hans device broke. Many tubes of the chassis broke at the welds, a few tubes just snapped off at places in the middle far from any welds. Completely insane amount of destruction.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
The Midwest Road Safety Facility here at the University of Nebraska as been working to build the SAFER walls like were used at Indy this year. They are starting testing now on walls that have curve to them for short tracks and crash tested a Petty Enterprises Intrepid yesterday. I missed the crash test itself but know one of the guys that works for MwRSF and he showed some of us the wrecked car last night.

They did the test at 135 mph at a 20 degree angle into a standard wall to get a baseline. Speed is achieved using two 454 dually trucks, one with a supercharger and one with a big shot of nitrous pulling cables through a 6:1 pulley set up (car moves 6 times distance/speed trucks move). The trucks have the power adders to accelerate them in a short space, they can't shift out of 1st gear due to the shift creating slack in the cables and causing problems, pretty intense set up.

The car was completely demolished, this is a much harder impact than any NASCAR ever actually strikes the wall, I was told that even though impacts on TV look like they are at large angles, cameras are very decieveing when it comes to angles and 20 degrees is really quite larege for a crash. The engine was pushed back about 3 and a half feet, the radiator somewhat resembles a pretzel, the right front tire was pushed back into what would be the footwell of the passenger compartment on a street car. A dummy was in the car, the helmet cracked in three places, the hans device broke. Many tubes of the chassis broke at the welds, a few tubes just snapped off at places in the middle far from any welds. Completely insane amount of destruction.
must be nice to get paid to destroy stuff..

i'm not out there, but my girlfriend is in omaha (@ Creighton University) ...showed her your post, and she wanted to know which campus...
University of Nebraska - Lincoln?
University of Nebraska - Omaha?

:zdunno:

damn midwesterners

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Very interesting stuff...

by the way, your Huskers didn't fare too well against my Wildcats last weekend. :uppoint:

Thanks for sharing.

John

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is on the Lincoln campus. They do a lot of testing on Geo Metros and Chevy trucks. When they start a new development or are ready to test a final product they get a Cup car or an IRL car, this wasn't the first race car they demolished. I have no idea how any of the rest of them fared but this one sure wasn't pretty.

My Huskers aren't faring to well against most teams this year. But the fact that the Colorado game is a home game gives a small ray of hope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts