TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work I'm being tasked with upgrading internet and the networks for several of our sites. We are also looking at bringing some new sites, 3 total, live sometime this year as late as spring of next year. This will bring up the total of sites from 33 to 36 when these sites go live.

This first site is coming from 3 separate DSL lines, 1.5Mpbs, 3Mbps, and 3Mbps, to a single 20Mbps internet connection. Each DSL connection is its own separate network within the same building. When this is all said and done, all 40(ish) workstations and 30(ish) tablets / laptops will all be on the same network rather than being on separate networks and internet connections.

Of everything I've seen, I'm coming to Ubiquity line of products to use for my network backbone; switches, WAPs, etc. Everything I've seen about Ubiquity is exactly what I'm looking to do at these sites: Enterprise level network management.

I need to know what options I have available for routing.

The one thing I'm a bit hung up on at the moment is the router. Long story short, I have little idea on how to setup / configure a router. It is my absolute crutch in networking. Sure, I've logged into those ISP provided modem / router things, and I've configured my own home routers as well, but the stuff I'm looking at is enterprise level stuff in which what I know won't necessarily apply. CISCO is a out of my league, primarily due to the command line environment. Ubiquity has their routers as well, but those seem to have command line as well? I know I can learn this stuff, but I need to learn this stuff ASAP as the first site is getting their internet upgraded here in about 3 weeks. The Ubiquity Edge Router seems like a nice setup, but reviews I've seen state that they are difficult to configure but once configured, there's nothing to really worry about.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
From what I've heard Ubiquity is the way to go or geeky/enterprise stuff, Cisco fortune 500 level. Easier stuff may be Netgear Nighthawks, or ASUS RT-3200 or RT-AC88U.

Which the consumer stuff may be a stop gap while you get used to Ubiquity.

·
Registered
58 Posts
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

Edgerouter X will get you a LOT of good performance for a great price. They're really quite simple to configure via a GUI if you use the setup sheet. The only snag I've run into is setting up port forwarding but I think I even figured that one out with some searching. You should go for the Edgerouter - they're easier than you think. One great feature - connection teaming. If you have services from two different providers (say Cable and DSL) you can run them together and if one goes down you still have (slower) Internets. I've got Edgerouter X, a 24 port unmanaged switch and two Unifi AP's at home.

One additional reason you want the Edgerouter is you can configure Traffic Analysis and see who's generally doing what on your network.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm well aware of the Edge Router. I'm hearing lots of good things about it in terms of features and performance, but I'm also hearing lots of different things. I have my other thread with more in depth information of what's been happening HERE. The Edge Router is on my list of equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.