TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been talked over and over, but parts continue to be obsoleted for our cars. I need to replace my front UCAs. Below is a chart of options and approx price of whats listed on RockAuto. I'd like to hear what people have used & like. I know nothing of Mevotech or Proforged. ACDelco has some good parts for our cars, I've always used MOOG. Then the Motorcraft, are they really worth that extra price?

MK 8 Left Right ~price
Mevotech Supreme CMK8781 CMK8782 $50
ACDelco professional 45D1036 45D1035 $50
MOOG problem solver CK8781 CK8782 $60

Cougar
Mevotech Supreme CMK8596* CMK8598* $21
Proforged 10810014 10810015 $65
Motorcraft MCS10763 MCS10764 $97

T-Bird
Mevotech Supreme CMK8596* CMK8598* $21
Proforged 10810014 10810015 $65
Motorcraft MCS10763 MCS10764 $97
ACDelco professional 45D1001 45D1002 $50

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I bought a set of Moog, both sides came with ripped boots out of the box, the grease had eaten away at the boot somehow. If I recall they had a clear color boot. So I returned those and bought the cheap set at the local parts store... they lasted a bit over a year before the boots tore.
Finally ended up finding a new old stock set of Dorman brand with the large size balljoint and quality rubber boots; not easy to find. The new Dorman ones are typical cheap junk these days.

Options are limited. I don't know what I would recommend. Maybe just expect them not to last very long. I see SuperCoupe performace sells them. Maybe they are of better quality then the Rockautos options??

·
Super Moderator
4,940 Posts
Movetech is garbage.

Motorcraft = Moog and are good

AC delco is beefy with a separately serviceable ball joint(good for future repairs if options disappear)

Proforged, no idea.
ProForged used to be Performance Parts or something like that; they seem to be popular in the GM and Miata forums.

I have some ProForged ball joints to go into my Dakota as a test; 100,000 miles won't take that long on it.

But I'd go ProForged if it's available for right now.

RwP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Those boots can be bought separately in most parts stores. Just measure the small and large diameter and make sure that the ones you buy are the same diameter or smaller. They can be stretched a bit. Larger will not work.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
RobertP sells replacement UCA boots that are indestructible. Unfortunately, he is not on here any more, would have to call him.

Al

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just this week replaced the upper control arms on two of my 96 Tbirds. First set was a pair of TRWs that I had lying around for several years. Probably bought them on ebay. 'TRW' was in the forging. Second set was Motorcraft I just bought from Rock Auto. No manufacturer labeled in the forging. The TRWs were nongreasable, the Motorcraft were greasable. Ball joint size was the same in both.

From what I've seen, what you pull out of a TRW box and Motorcraft box may not be the same. Quality is questionable with aftermarket, so I went with the OEM Motorcraft. The cost is greater and I can't tell you whether or not this is justifiable.

Mitch

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a set of AC Delco. They don't have a grease fitting though. Has anyone drilled a hole and added a zerk to one of these arms? I'm a little cautious, I've never done that before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got a set of AC Delco. They don't have a grease fitting though. Has anyone drilled a hole and added a zerk to one of these arms? I'm a little cautious, I've never done that before.
Adding 50 metal shavings and some grease seems worse than leaving it ungreased but I now to the majority

·
Super Moderator
10,660 Posts
There should be an EDIT button along the bottom of a post.

Please use that, rather than multiposting. :)

I've edited posts 50 times after I posted them originally.

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Adding 50 metal shavings and some grease seems worse than leaving it ungreased but I now to the majority

When I buy parts I usually buy non greasable if I have a choice. If designed properly ball joint and suspension links shouldn't need to be regreased. My Camry I had for 8+ years had no grease fittings, and I put over 100,000 miles on it without replacing any suspension

I see the advantage on heavy duty applications or off roading , but not so much on passanger vehicles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts