TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the JY and got the engine today. I noticed that the lower intake is set up a little differently but the guy assured me it was the right engine. They dropped it off later that afternoon and I showed the guy the differences. He tossed me 50 bucks for new gaskets and stuff. I thought I would just use my intakes and accesories on that block and heads. Well I got my engine and tranny out. Broke the tranny loose and noticed that the flywheels were different too. My fly wheel is huge compared to the other one. I'm guessing the other car might have been a manual but don't know for sure.

Can anyone tell me if I got the right engine? It has the same upper intake as mine but like I said the lower is different (the thermastat housing is in back where mine is in front) and the flywheel is smaller. Looks like a may have gotten a different year.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
well, if you got an engine with a flywheel over a flexplate (manual vs automatic), you would immediatly know. The flywheel has a machined surface where as the flexplate has just a bunch of holes in it.

honestly, it sounds like you have a front wheel drive engine... it is completly useless for you man... sorry. On the block there should be some writing from the factory. it would be on one of the sides. It should read RWD. If yours says FWD, take it back. It will not bolt in. the heads MIGHT work, but I think it will be missing the bolt holes needed for your accessory brackets. The lower will not work, but the upper intake is the same

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
man this sucks. It seems it is a front wheel drive. The tranny bolt holes are different. ****...

Well halfway there I guess. At least I got the engine and tranny out of the car. Yes the tranny. There was one bolt stuck on it and I had to remove the tranny to get it off. I ended up having to grind the head off.

What years were the front wheel drive t-birds anyway? I really don't see how that guy could make such a big mistake. or was it me?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
there was never a fwd mn12... it probably came from a taurus, windstar or a lincoln...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn junkyard. LOL... should of had this engine in tonight but now Im set back another week and another 25 bones for renting the cherry picker........ not to mention setting me back another week of working on my own ride. GRRRR.

Any one know of anystores that sell cherry picker for under 100?? I've looked on ebay, but nothing close to me.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah taurus, i was surprised when i saw a 3.8 in one at a junk yard. i would kick that guys *** that sold it to you. cherry picker for under a 100? unless you find a private seller. but check out harbor freight tools. they're cheap and pretty reliable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts