TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was gathering my parts for the PI manifold swap. I dug out and unboxed the manifold that I purchased from a member years ago. I've been reading up about the whole procedure lately so I noticed my intake didn't look like everyone else's. Well, I've got the dreaded Dorman!

Big question, are there any redeeming qualities with this thing?
Are the upper part of the ports as small as my stock non-PI's?
Is it a good candidate for any experimenting, like cutting the bottom off to shorten the runners?

Or do I throw it in the recycling bin?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. At least I won't waste time with it. A Ford manufactured piece is on my list.

·
Banned
575 Posts
My dorman i had was actually as deep as the pi but a bit wider, had to of had more volume to it..
And short runner? Suck! I had a vic jr thays as short runner as you can get...full pi swap,70mm tbody and plenum,exhaust,chip and few other things..with the vic jr on my biddies near stock 97 m8 lsc was nose and nose with me then started to pull off around 70ish....ditched the vic jr because they didnt sell return style fuel rails for it and didnt wanna keep rigged rails on my motor..anyways i put on a dorman and id beat that m8 upto anyspeed and was always almost a cars length in front of it.

·
Super Moderator
16,772 Posts
Yeah, well the dorman PI was dyno tested to show an 18rwhp loss to the OEM PI, not just a roll race between biddies in a pair of clapped out **** heaps to determine the deficit.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Yeah, well the dorman PI was dyno tested to show an 18rwhp loss to the OEM PI, not just a roll race between biddies in a pair of clapped out **** heaps to determine the deficit.
What makes ypu think my mn12 was or is ashit heap?
If it was faster,which i could even feel just driving with dorman over my vic jr, that vic jr manifold must really be a p.o.s...
How could the dorman be 18hp less,is that a npi dorman vs stock pi? I dont see how any manifold could be 20hp more or less than another, exp with the almost exact same design...not saying i dont believe you just saying thats crazy...and fk then,i put a dorman npi on my 94, buuuut it IS by far faster with the 98 style setup, then the intake and 75mm setup,shes not a complete slouch anymore

·
Super Moderator
16,772 Posts
What makes ypu think my mn12 was or is ashit heap?
If it was faster,which i could even feel just driving with dorman over my vic jr, that vic jr manifold must really be a p.o.s...
How could the dorman be 18hp less,is that a npi dorman vs stock pi? I dont see how any manifold could be 20hp more or less than another, exp with the almost exact same design...not saying i dont believe you just saying thats crazy...and fk then,i put a dorman npi on my 94, buuuut it IS by far faster with the 98 style setup, then the intake and 75mm setup,shes not a complete slouch anymore
Who is ypu, and how should I know? :D

The Victor junior is a short runner spider intake and you bolted it to a stock engine, what did you expect? You basically dumped all your low end for an intake that only makes power a few thousand RPMs past what your engine(cams, valves, heads, rotating assembly) is physically capable of, let alone what the rest of the car set up for(tune, TC, trans, gears). Yeah, I can totally believe the Dorman feels better over that, because even if it flows worse than OEM it's still a long runner intake the engine is designed for. It's weak next to a real Ford PI because Dorman simplified their manufacturing process to use universal sections to create both their PI and NPI variants. So I can't speak for Ypu's opinion, but going by your mismatched cheapo choices for mods and unscientific means of measurement to rationalize them, I'd wager **** heap isn't too inaccurate.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought about the ProComp/Typhoon intake. I remember when Rick Anderson first started slicing up the PI manifolds as prototypes and I thought one of these aluminum jobs would do the trick. They're as cheap as new PIs.

But many people seem to lose power once heatsoak sets in with these. So it's back to the Ford PI I guess.

Wish I could get a plastic manifold for my '92 302. That's is an example of heatsoak.

·
Banned
575 Posts
I also thought about that heat soak issue....when i had my typhoon i considered coating it to try and help that..
And lol, ya...im no master of mods buuut im also no bum..i have had 6 completly differently modded mn12s over the past 10 years now.
Now,not to thread jump but ate their different desings of the pi intakes..because i swear i had one wheres the runners looked larger than my back up i had laying around. They were for shur different as one had holes inbetween the runners so stuff could fall into the engine valley, the other they were filled in. It was an obvious difference there.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
The typhoon intake manifold is an exact copy of a PI intake.

What it provides is the ability to port the entire manifold by being able to be taken apart.

It was a good piece.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Thanks. At least I won't waste time with it. A Ford manufactured piece is on my list.
I've got one currently up for sale. My last inquiry fell thru (completely my fault)...Just waiting on a response from 1 more member. In case you're interested.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds good. Let me know if no one else wants it.

Anybody need a Dorman intake with PI flanges and NPI ports? Does have a direct shot into the plenum...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts