TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just went to go to lunch and i noticed that there was a puddle under my car. i back the car up and see it is antifreeze. so i open the hood and look around and i see antifreeze sitting in one of the nooks in the timing cover. at first i thought it was the heater hose leaking and dripping down. so i started the car and i go look. no water coming from the heater hose, but is slowly trickling down and it looks like it's coming from behind the cover. any ideas or anyone know wtf is wrong this time......???

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
could be the legendary head gaskets.....

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i f-n hope not. i just put this engine in because of that. i dont think it is tho, doesn't run like it, and no milkshake oil/white smoke. still runs strong, so what gives? maybe timing cover gasket?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Coolant doesn't run in the timing cover at all. Closest thing to it are heads, and possibly a heater hose. That close to the front of the engine, possibly the water pump, or a radiator hose.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
def. not hoses could be the pump, because i had a clutch fan on there when my elec. fan went out. was just a touch out of balance and now the shaft is slightly warped. culprit?? i hope so because water pump= a lot easier then hg's.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i would suspect a water pump, or the cover itself being warped from teh shaft bent...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
approx. how much is a timing cover and how hard is that job? i think i'll just replace the cover AND the pump and call it a day.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Coolant doesn't run in the timing cover at all. Closest thing to it are heads, and possibly a heater hose. That close to the front of the engine, possibly the water pump, or a radiator hose.
well, coolant passes through the holes in the timing cover. how else is it going to get to the water pump?

sounds like the cover isnt sealed all the way, maybe an area where not enough rtv was applied? either that or the cover has cracked. just my .02.

·
6,910 Posts
approx. how much is a timing cover and how hard is that job? i think i'll just replace the cover AND the pump and call it a day.
i have a timing cover that's painted bright silver. ill sell it to you cheap.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
honestly, i don't care what color it is. my eng. bay isn't show quality so it doesn't matter to me. how much work is involved with removing it? obviously the w/p has to go, but after that? thanks for the help.

btw, is it ok to run it like this, as long as i keep the coolant up?(until i fix it)

·
6,910 Posts
getting to it is the tough part. part of the wp/timing cover shares studs with a black bracket that bolts to the ps/alternator bracket. the ps/alternator/bracket can be unbolted in one big piece. make note of where each fastener goes. grab a haynes manual to help you out.

i wouldnt keep driving the car. the cooling system is pressurized and can create bigger leaks. find a buddy that knows what he is doing to help you out.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm mechanically inclined enough (15T, U.S. Army), but i've never gone past the w/p on this car (taken off p/s pump MANY times) well, other than pulling the entire engine. i just wanted to see if it was overly complicated as to set aside the proper amount of time. i'll probably just go to a j/y and get one. i'm not trying to be pretty. you think the '97 timing cover is the same as the ones prior?

·
Registered
825 Posts
it just your timming cover gasket mine did that after I did my heads turns out the cover might be warped so I just used a s-load or rtv on it hasn't leaked since

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
better to do that while it's on the car? i think i'm gonna change it, i don't like rigged up shi* on my car. no offense :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
most water pumps have a weep hole that will start to seep coolant once the pump seals start to fail

·
Registered
825 Posts
better to do that while it's on the car? i think i'm gonna change it, i don't like rigged up shi* on my car. no offense :)
I changed the gasket and it still leaked thats why I did it this way

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
the weep hole is on top of the shaft for the water pump.. that wouldnt be water INSIDE the timing cover...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
he never said inside of the timing cover

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah not inside, behind, or at least it looks like it's behind it. not the pump, as that would be leaking from under the pump. it's def farther back

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,300 Posts
sounds like the cover isnt sealed all the way
I'm with Mike on this one. My 97 was recalled to have the timing cover resealed.

Joe

1 - 20 of 58 Posts