TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does PI stand for when people talk about PI explorer engine, or PI heads, Or PI engine, what is that? someone lemme know.......sorry for being so stupid...lol

-Marc

·
Registered
744 Posts
hey welcome to the tccoa boards

PI = <b>P</B>erformance <b>I</b>mproved. ford changed up the heads on the 2V SOHC 4.6 motors in 99. bascially changed the the port design of the intake and exhaust. NPI (non-PI) heads have a oval shape, whereas PI have a rectangular shape. a head swap from npi to pi yeilds about 30-35 hp.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My dad must have been more of a dick than your dad. He would always say, "Stupid questions get stupid answers."

~Chuck

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
tomaso12 said:
hey welcome to the tccoa boards

PI = <b>P</B>erformance <b>I</b>mproved. a head swap from npi to pi yeilds about 30-35 hp.
Ahem...

Actually, heads, intake and cams generate about 50 rwhp. :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
94V8Thunderbird said:
what does PI stand for when people talk about PI explorer engine, or PI heads, Or PI engine, what is that? someone lemme know.......sorry for being so stupid...lol

-Marc

i always thought the "ultimate noob question" would be something like "what are these two pedals on the floor for?"

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I didn't know what PI meant either until I came here, but I snooped around and found out. Now I have a laundry list of things to do to my ride.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i've been on here a while, and i never knew what PI stood for, i knew it was better than stock. thanks

Is it just as easy as finding an 99+ 4.6l and taking the heads and the intakes. or is there alot more invloved

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
TrevorSmith said:
i've been on here a while, and i never knew what PI stood for, i knew it was better than stock. thanks

Is it just as easy as finding an 99+ 4.6l and taking the heads and the intakes. or is there alot more invloved
It's probably just as easy finding a low mileage '02 Explorer or any '99 or newer Mustang engine and replacing your tired out old '94 motor with it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That would probably be easiest and most cost effiecient. Check out http://www.greenleafauto.com/ and find the closest one to you and give them a call. They usually have some for sale for under ~1500 and fairly low mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts