TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Anyone have experience with ULTRA-POWER coil packs (red)? Saw them on Rock Auto and tout better spark, etc.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8649212&cc=1198795&jsn=386
Waste of money.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM coil pack. They last practically forever, they're not very expensive, and there is absolutely no difference in "spark" from an OEM coil vs an aftermarket one.

Think about it logically a moment.
The coil sends the electricity through the plug wires, into the plugs, which generate a spark. I'm not an expert electrician, but so long as the conduit (the cables) and the plugs are in proper working order (properly gapped), then a spark is a spark is a spark. It'll ignite the fuel, period.

I just can't understand the reasoning behind throwing "more" voltage at it than is necessary for making a spark. It's an electrical short essentially, if the compression is too high or some other stuff that could cause "spark blow out", then you're not running the right components. Adding more voltage/amperage isn't a fix, it's a band-aid. Add to it that the "high power" coils have a much higher failure rate, I just don't see it as being worth while unless you have a very specifically built motor, and I still don't understand why more voltage/amperage would be useful than what is sufficient. Once again, it's a simple spark, that's jumping across a few thousandths of an inch.

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
Stock DIS coil packs arguably produced the strongest spark of any preceding or succeeding ignition system Ford used. Name brand aftermarket ones are probably fine as replacements, but you won't see any benefits and more than likely whatever spark related trouble you were having before could be traced back to the wires or plugs. The original coil packs usually outlast the cars they were installed in.

If you want red ones, get some red engine paint.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red engine paint... :)
Thanks that all makes sense. I need to do a tune up on my Explorer and was thinking about these, bu tno more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts