TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my tires installed on my new rims about 1 week ago. I asked them to static balance them, put crimp on weights on the inside lip of the rim. Balancing was included with tire purchase.

Well the car shook like mad so a few days later I took it back and was told that the only way to truly balance the rims/tires was to use stick-on weights placed in the center of the rims. Ok fine I'll pay extra. Still shaking alot after 55mph. Took the car back today and let the owner drive the car. He claims its either a ball joint, a UV joint or the U joint, or the disks are warped. I have 8 extra tires for this car and tried them all and the car doesn't shake. The tire shop owner says because these are low profile they will transmit unbalanced things like above.

They don't not use high speed balancing at this shop, so its either the rims are warped, which I'm SCREWED or they just don't know how to balance rims this big.

Opinions please
James

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,448 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

So you guys are saying that where I got the tires, they dont know how to balance my tires/rims.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Any shop will be limited by their equipment.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a local Honda garage that has the Hunter GSP9700, will give them a call for an appointment.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Exactly it's not that they don't know how it is that they don't have the equipment to handle it. It would be like in my business if someone was building torque converter with a mig welder and a lathe (it does happen) The product will be inferior. I had to go all out or it wasn't worth doing at all.
Alan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ticks me off that he said my car was causing the problem when I knew it wasnt and he did say this was the first time they'd seen 18x9's and the valve stems that The Custom Wheel Shop sold me.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
They have probably never used the expensive balancer to know the difference. On standard wheels their equipment is fine, Don't expect road force balancing to be cheap. The last place I had do it specifically that way charged me $35 per tire. I brought them in the back of my truck.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
A local Mr. Tire that had a GSP-9700 balanced all four of my 17x9 Cobras for $20 after I had another shop mount and balance them on other equipment. It improved the ride quite a bit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I Love my 9700 machine, if used properally it balances out so well. It took me two years to talk the higher ups into buying it. When I get my personal shop going, I plan on throwing it in the back of my truck and taking off with it (lol).

·
Registered
987 Posts
You should not have to go to the extent of a road-force balance service.

The wheels are most deff not warped.

Go to a reputable tire dealer and get them balanced up with a proper Electronic balancer. Yes you have to use tape weights. I cant even imagine static balancing any passenger assembly these days...wow

Make sure the shop pre-torques your wheels and are not just zipping them down without at least a torque stick on the air wrench. Be sure they are using the Hubcentric Ring set as well, these prevent vibration.

Brad

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have an appointment with the new Honda in town on Friday. I wonder if the other garage used the hubcentric ring when they balanced the rims, that will affect the balance right?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I also love my hunter 9700, since I'm going for my automotive degree and I am taking a steering and suspension course I have access to a hunter gsp9700 road force balancer and 4 different types of hunter alignment machines. My car has never felt so good lol. Finally got all 4 of my Nitto invo 255/50/17's mounted on my bird, using the hunter tcx550. She handles like a dream. I'm a big fan of hunter equipment after using their stuff and their competitions stuff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will see what the 9700 turns up. I think it could be the front right thats bad, if so I'll be going back for a replacement. I'll report back when all is said and done.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Completely balanced, no shakes at all. 55$

Thanks for helping me get to the right shop with the right equipment!

The last shop completly screwed up and had so many weights on the rims everywhere Im not sure what they did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts