TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its a few years late, but I finally decided to underseal my Bird properly. I've done parts of it before on the driveway, but was very unimpressed with how much I'd missed when I saw the car on a ramp for its inspection.

I found a place the other week, that will let me hire out a workshop bay with a 4 post lift. Been over there twice, and now I have a fully undersealed T-bird! I was originally concentrating on the areas around the rear of the rocker panels that I'd just had repaired, and subframe brackets that I've had replaced. I wanted to get the insides of the rockers filled up with wax to prolong the repairs.

I used Dinitrol underbody and cavity wax with extension probes, and basically filled anywhere that had a drainage/panel gap hole. Then I did the rest of the floor, wheelarches. rear subframe (including inside the subframe), tank, doors. Here are a few pictures:

Before:

After:

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Wow Andy!.. :eek:

That looks pretty extensive..I mean as much coverage as you got down there now..You should be pretty well protected for awhile..

Can you describe the Dinitrol a little more?..Is that like a Wax/Paint?

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the stuff I bought:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/320863673186?txnId=1289771048011

It's like waxoyl. Nor sure if you get that in the US. Waxoyl is ok, but not that easy to spray. It spatters and doesn't give consistent results in my experience. The Dinotril cavity wax is reassuringly runny and sprays out really well. It was dribbling out of all the apertures afterwards. The underbody wax is slightly thicker and covers well. My car had a fair bit of surface rust here and there, so I wire brushed it all off and flooded it with the stuff.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I hope it's hard work well spent, sir. Looks like you won't have any problems for ages, though.

Looks much better than before, though. Excellent work!

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a hell of a lot easier having it on the lift. Killed my arms rubbing it all down though. Also I really shouldve worn a mask as it stinks and gets all up your nose. Probably not doing any good! But yes, a good job done. Hopefully the car will survive better now.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Was this car undercoated when it was new? I know my 97 was my new 96 isn't. I'm curious what the factory used and if it helped or not. Rust isn't a concern where I live I'm just trying to expand my knowledge. For what it's worth, it looks like you did a great job. I understand your need for it.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was this car undercoated when it was new? I know my 97 was my new 96 isn't. I'm curious what the factory used and if it helped or not. Rust isn't a concern where I live I'm just trying to expand my knowledge. For what it's worth, it looks like you did a great job. I understand your need for it.
Yes there was kind of body coloured paint on some of it, but the very back of the car, and the subframe had a lot of surface rust. I'd tried to brush paint it on the drive before, but had missed loads. I don't think there was anywhere that was just bare metal. If there had been it would have rusted through by now with all the salt we have chucked around in the winter over here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts