TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im looking to buy some underdrive pulleys. But i've heard before somewhere that they can mess up stuff up (alternator or something). That true or am i just hearing things? Also, how much do they add (horsepower)?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
ive had mine for 6 months or more and no problems.. at idle in gear, the alt doesnt charge fully, but its fine other than that..unless you idle in gear all day long ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is that a prob if its not fully charging at idle? Like if im running a air conditioner and radio at idle... that gonna kill it?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Shouldn't hurt it unless maybe you are running a huge stereo. The alt. puts out full charge at 1000rpms, so the minute you leave the light, sign, whatever, you are at full output. I've had mine on for a while, and I notice it dim a little at idle if I'm running a lot of access., but never had it die, and never killed the alt.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Well, I have the Steeda pulleys, and no stereo or anything to put extra draw, and without a chip to raise the idle, I can watch my battery gauge go waaaaaay down while sitting in traffic, especially with the AC on. I have also witnessed first hand a Mark VIII with pulleys sit and idle for about an hour, and then shut his car off, and we had to jumpstart it. I'm thinking about taking mine off because I sit in traffic so much.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*ugh*. His mark needed jumped after sitting that long? That sucks. I dont think I would ever be idling for an hour at a time though. I am getting a Dennis R chip soon. That raises idle u say? If so then it shouldnt be a prob then. So are the pulleys worth the money? Will I notice a diff in performance? Or is it like a 5-10 hp increase or something?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
With a chip to raise the idle, the pulleys are fine. I don't know if I fealt any increase with the pulleys, the dyno sure didn't show any.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
mine seemed to pull a lil harder in the higher rpms with the pullies on...

my car has sat idling for a long time with them on...and the heater and defroster on, and ive had no problems. I usually put it in neutral if im at a stoplight, and the gauge goes back up to normal.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I had a set on a 5.0 before, and never had a problem with them, but from what I hear, the 4.6's had pretty aggressive pulley design to start with.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
cougar_ricer said:
......So are the pulleys worth the money? Will I notice a diff in performance? Or is it like a 5-10 hp increase or something?
I think the pulleys are. I picked up a set for ~$70 on eBay last year, and finally put them on last week.

I can tell a difference/improvement in how the takes off from a standing start (e.g., from a traffic light), and the acceleration is better (to me, anyway). Just like other posters have said, the charge indicator needle goes down when idling at a traffic light, for example, and it's more noticable when I have the lights and other accessories on. However, there hasn't been any indication the car's going to stall.

Value of an item is subjective, but I do think the pulleys are worth it. FWIW, the gains in HP that I have read about indicate a gain of 5-15HP, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I have March 1150s(piggyback) I run the underdrive crank and waterpump pullies and stock alternator pulley. Steeda pullies are manufactured by ASP. If you want to pay more for them, by all means do so. Check the corral, stangnet, and modular depot classifieds. I got my pullies for 60$ shipped.

joseph

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
anyone have these on 5.0s????
I have a set of ASP pulleys on my 5.0L

I left the alt pulley off, and for the time being I'm running the stock alt (waiting for Mr. alt to fix my 130amp unit and send it back). I have a mk8 e-fan, and I havent had any issues... yet. Keep in mind my AC isnt working so I havent been using that, and I have yet to replace my stereo. As soon as I get those issues taken care of things may change. But as it stands now, everything is kosher.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
go ahead and get the pulleys. for the money its a noticable difference. you shouldnt have any trouble with them, i havent. my volt gauge goes down when in gear and at idle (red light, stop sign etc.) but your not sittng ther long enough to notice any adverse effects. if your real woried about it put it in neutral when stopped, although this isnt neccessary. i have a set of steeda pullies and i love them. also, the great obucina is right, the steeda pulleys are made by asp (wish i knew this before i bought the steeda's). so go ahead and buy a set of asp pulleys and save yourself some cash.

Frank

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
Well, I have the Steeda pulleys, and no stereo or anything to put extra draw, and without a chip to raise the idle, I can watch my battery gauge go waaaaaay down while sitting in traffic, especially with the AC on. I have also witnessed first hand a Mark VIII with pulleys sit and idle for about an hour, and then shut his car off, and we had to jumpstart it. I'm thinking about taking mine off because I sit in traffic so much.
Uhm... does he realize that idling for an hour is really bad for the engine in an overall way? When you lookup "extreme" conditions for engines, prolonged idle is up near the top of the list. Oil pressures, coolant flow, heat soaking of the different materials. I think he's got more to worry about than his battery if he's doing that frequently.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
DanQ said:

Uhm... does he realize that idling for an hour is really bad for the engine in an overall way? When you lookup "extreme" conditions for engines, prolonged idle is up near the top of the list. Oil pressures, coolant flow, heat soaking of the different materials. I think he's got more to worry about than his battery if he's doing that frequently.
well they were kinda out test driving my car and it wasnt cooperating...and he prolly forgot about it...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That helped out a lot guys. I plan on getting them later on. Yea i shouldn't be idling no more than 30 secs to a minute at a time anyway in normal conditions. Thanks again guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts