TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah , i heard these underdrive pulley's add HP.. but it doesn't make sense to me as to how it does. Can anyone explain??

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Any mechanical device requires power to operate. The amount of power required to operate is based on a lot of factors. In rotating items, i.e. water pump, alternator, etc, they all use more power the faster you turn them. So if you slow them down, they don’t require as much power to operate at a given rpm, thus more for accelerating the vehicle.

The under drive pulleys slow them down so they don’t use as much power.

Simple theory, and it should work. (I don’t have personal knowledge so I won’t say one way or the other).

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you are thinking about doing it, do it! This has been one of my cheapest and best mods yet.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Sometimes you can run into charging and cooling problems with them (nothing monumental, your car wont blow up or anything). All depends on what other equipment you are running. Just keep an eye on things, you should know in the first week if you are going to have any issues. I do recomend keeping the stock size alternator pulley.

The big thing I noticed with mine was an improvement in throttle response and how freely the engined reved.

I'm sure there will be some differences between the 5.0 and the 4.6, but the theory is the same.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pullies are one of the best bang for buck, It really wakes up the 4.6 and the 5.o even more according to dynos in magazines.

I love my pulleys and consider them my best mod(I dont have many) I gained a little over 2 tenths in the 1/4 not bad for 70 bucks used!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also, similar (to those in your car) pulleys from junk yard could be used. When radious is larger you'll be under-driving, if smaller over-driving.

·
8,239 Posts
I would advise against "junk yard pulleys" when there are a variety of companies that make sets of underdrive pulleys for all the tbird motors.

JH

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
mad281 said:
Also, similar (to those in your car) pulleys from junk yard could be used. When radious is larger you'll be under-driving, if smaller over-driving.
It's not the size...it's the ratio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts