TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at getting a set in a week or two, just wondering which ones are the best to use. Should i get a set or just the crank pully. I know that the volt. at idle will suffer, but would a set take car of that?

Also, i just noticed that there is a ticking noise in my engine. I'm not an expert, but it sounds like its a fuel injector if thats possible. Could it just be a lifter? I'll have my uncle check it out tomorrow, but just want to get some imput from the 3.8 experts. You guys have saved me before, i'm hoping you can do it again.

·
Registered
798 Posts
all 3.8's have a slight ticking noise from the fuel injection system. My car does fine at idle with just the ASP Underdrive Pulley. At a stop at night with the lights on i see the dash lights dim out slightly and the volt guage drops to the left some, but it all clears up when some throttle is applied. I wouldn't pay the extra money for the two pulley set. Since the Alternator pulley is going to be bigger (an overdrive) to make up for the loss on the crank pulley. Unless you have a severe draw on the electrical system, like a stereo system, i think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a 480 w amp and 2 subs shouldn't put that big of a burden on the electrical should it? I wouldn't think so. Looks like i'm making a purchase from summit in a week. Also, what size belt would i need to get to make up for the underdrive pulley?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
96" belt.

I have just the ASP crank pulley also and my idle amperage is no lower than it was before. I say just buy the crank pulley. From what I've heard the asp alternator pulley isn't even comparibly different in size when it's next to the factory pulley.

-Thomas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts