TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they recomended? I readed about them in the tech articals and how "your power steering pump will thank you". Well I don't run on the track yet but I will when I finish the basic bolt on mods. I also saw the thread about running them with big stereos. Will it hurt to not use them or is better to use them? the reason I ask is I am fixing to come into some money and wanted to put some into my cars system. Really nice cd player and good speakers, no subs, and I don't want to f**k them up by running it on the track all the time. Same with my power steering. Also could I expect to see any gains? If so, how does it free up power? Thanks in advance, Thomas.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
hey

Your absolutley ok if your not getting subs... the pullies free up horsepower by shrinking the power steering pump pulley and water pump pulley (i think?) but the smaller it is, the less those devices rotate, and the less horsepower it takes to turn them. Thus saving your PS pump etc etc. =)

·
Registered
20 Posts
underdrive pullies

hey,
the crank is smaller, the water pump is bigger and the alternator is bigger. if you wanna run sub, either dont put on the underdriven alt. or get a bigger alternator. because the entire belt moves slower (cause the crank is smaller) the power steering likes it too. there isnt a pully for the power steering though. it frees up about 10 hp. its good if you gonna run NA or with nitrous, but you need stock pullies if you gonna go with a supercharger.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Wrong and Wrong.

Use the alt pulley. ONLY if you experience low voltage above idle(1000rpms is full charge on most sets) should you install the alt pulley.

MANY SCs have Underdrive pullies AND an overdrive pulley. It doesn't matter, as long as you can get a belt long/short enough.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just put in U/D pulleys and I saw no difference at all in my power. Of course, I do not have a huge system, but I turned on AC to Max, radio on, brights on, and as many power hungry accessories as I could to see a difference. The lights dimmed only a LITTLE. Barely noticable. :) Oh, I didn't put the smaller alternator pulley on. Just water pump and crank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you live in an area were the winters are cold, then get a volt meter gauge. Without subs you should be fine, but at night with heat, lights, stereo, wipers all going you could have troubles. I'm an SC owner with underdrive pulleys on my alt, crank, p/s pump with no troubles. Also the s/c has a smaller pulley too!

Smaller pulleys make whatever they drive rotate more. So for the s/c it will move more air. Going to bigger pulley will make whatever it drives go slower, for the alt, it will work less.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just got mines today(Steeda)... and I'm going to install them this weekend. When I do, though, do I have to move my fan, so I have more space? I'm going to borrow the air tools and pulley puller from AutoZone and pick up a Gatorback belt there, while I'm @ it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yup, take out that fan

hey, just un plug it, and take out the 2 bolts holding it in and it slides up and out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Doing my pullies this weekend..

Is there any special tricks to installing them? I got the Steeda ones, model number
701-0001

I hope this is the right one. Thanks for the input!

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Nice avatar.......

Ryan A Harris said:
If you live in an area were the winters are cold, then get a volt meter gauge. Without subs you should be fine, but at night with heat, lights, stereo, wipers all going you could have troubles. I'm an SC owner with underdrive pulleys on my alt, crank, p/s pump with no troubles. Also the s/c has a smaller pulley too!

Smaller pulleys make whatever they drive rotate more. So for the s/c it will move more air. Going to bigger pulley will make whatever it drives go slower, for the alt, it will work less.
Hope that helps.
Sorry this is off subject but you guys should see that full screen.
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts