TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with THIS?

How does it compare to the Steeda UD set, as far as reduction? Any known issues with this particular setup?

Also, why all the hate on piggyback style? They're much less expensive, so what's the real problem with them?

I was thinking about throwing a set on the car Saturday before the first Test and Tune of the season at the track (Sunday).

Mike

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
that is just the balancer not a complete set. supercoupe performance has a march set with that balancer. their set has a water pump pulley (much larger than stock), alternator (ended up being the same size) and the crank pulley/ balancer (smaller than stock) I bought this set and noticed a small improvement in my low end grunt. the car also seems to cool better while racing. ( at least at the last autocross I went to). as far as the piggy back, think about it. you are putting your old balancer out farther on the crank to get the new pulley in the right spot. that puts a lot of stress on the snout of the crank. anyway I have the set from supercoupe performance and am very happy with it. except for the napa belt I have whines a lot and sounds like a supercharger.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that that is just the balancer....but I was just curious how it was sized relative to the Steeda combo as far as drive ratios.

As far as the piggybacks, I've never seen them in person, and didn't realize they mounted BEHIND the balancer. Thought they went in front of it.....that makes some sense now.

Also, I've read over on MD just now about 4V motors exploding the oil pump gears with ANY kind of underdrive balancer/crank pulley. I'm not sure I buy that, but it's what I just read. Anyone know more about this?

Mike

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Also, I've read over on MD just now about 4V motors exploding the oil pump gears with ANY kind of underdrive balancer/crank pulley. I'm not sure I buy that, but it's what I just read. Anyone know more about this?

Mike
WOW, I couldn’t imagine pulleys would affect the oil pump. Def wanna here if this is true or just coincidental.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had the underdrives without balancer for a long time. You get good highway passing @ WOT, but at idle everything runs slow and with the lights on at night you can see it. In my opinion you can get the same result going a different path because things have changed. The recently new electric water pump by- passes any mechanical drag on the engine due to the water pump freeing up HP while using the stock crank pulley.The P/S pump, alternator, and A/C compressor will not be affected. The big question is: Will the electric pump live as long as the stock pump?

·
The Parts Guy
8,009 Posts
Mike,

I ran a set of Steeda's on my 4V last season without any issues.

By the way, I don't know if you would be interested or not, but I have the full set of Steeda UD's (alternator, water pump, and harmonic balancer) for sale. They only have 1,900 miles on them. As you know, I've changed setups, so I can't use them anymore. If you're interested, just shoot me an email at [email protected] with your zip code for a shipped price.

-Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.