TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I went to my local Ford dealer and purchesed a new 1996 under the hood light for my 1997 Thunderbird. Which way is up? Does the bulb go up or down. I am assuming the two wires would be positive and negative or ground.:2huh:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Damn boy, you don't knwo how to hook up a simple litle light bulb??:rolleyes: Do a little thinking, if you put the bulb down instead of putting the other way, what will happen at night when you open the hood?? is there going to be more light the 1st way or the other way?? Second, can 2 ground cables give light to a light bulb?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Bulb goes down. You would rather have the light go that way than up towards the sky.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Really? in my car the light/bulb points up. It still lights the engine bay up clearly. It was on the junkyard car i pulled it from the same way.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure... (mine is the first one)

If you look at how the hoodliner is cut it is made to point downwards:

I've never personally seen one that points upwards.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm guessing the people that owned the junkyard car, just put it on upside down. I saw it on that way and assumed thats how it was done.

*Runs outside to flip my light over :D

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
lol. Not that it really helps no matter which direction it's facing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My concern wasn't so much, which way the light would "shine" , rather what triggers the light? I assumed there must be some type of a switching decice in the unit, as there is a slight rattling sound. I thought with a mecury switch vertical direction wouldn't matter. However with a mechanical switch, ie. the rattle, there would be a difference in vertical direction. Hence the question, which way is up?:confused:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the pictures, the Light house was funny.

How about something showing the wire routing?

How is the light activated? Is it a mercury switch or is it mechanical?:)

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Bigiron383 said:
How about something showing the wire routing?
Um.. first pic, follow the blue tubing from the light to the engine bay. It plugs in right by the brake fluid resevoir.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. Bulb goes down. One wire positive, one wire negative (ground).

What switches the bulb on? Does it have an enternal switch? Does it have a mercury switch? Does it have an external "doorpost" type switch?:2huh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts