TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... i have a 97 Bird with a 4.6 , today i was driving along at about 55 and it lost all power. I pulled over and it was kind of rattling and had a strong fuel smell. i cut the car off and now it wont start at all. There is fuel pressure so it cant be the pump or filter. The car will crank but it just wont start. I got it towed home and sprayed some starting fluid and it would start for just a second, so are the injectors not opening? I tried to do a code scan and it says "read error". Could it be a bad EEC? Please help soon this is my only transportation to work.

·
Registered
321 Posts
okay im sorry but that was a dumb question he said he sprayed starting fluid and it ran for a second um i think that means it has spark , i dont know but the first thing that comes to mind is a fuel pressure regulator even though you said u have fuel pressure pull the vacuum hose off the pressure regulator and see if fuel is in the vacuum hose should squirt as you pull it off i dunno thats my guess concidering u said you smelt fuel :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
okay im sorry but that was a dumb question he said he sprayed starting fluid and it ran for a second um i think that means it has spark , i dont know but the first thing that comes to mind is a fuel pressure regulator even though you said u have fuel pressure pull the vacuum hose off the pressure regulator and see if fuel is in the vacuum hose should squirt as you pull it off i dunno thats my guess concidering u said you smelt fuel :)
i asked that type of question for a reason do a little research on engine diag before you open your mouth. the engine can start and stall with incorrect ignition timing or a faulty wiring harrness. even though he may have spark, does he have spark on all 8 cylinders? are there lose connections for the ignition system? faulty coil packs, worn out plugs, bad engine ground. etc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions guys, i will check everything out in the morning, i just wish i could get a scanner to work it would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
874 Posts
okay i stand corrected but the good question is did he do this thorough check u just mentioned and i still think he should check the pressure regulator .
agreed. you must check for proper ignition in order for a engine to run. when that checks out you then must determind if the fuel system is working as it should.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still havent figured out what the problem is, but another thing i have noticed is that when the key is on the fan always runs. It did not do that before, does that help any?

·
5,650 Posts
Well there are several possibilities here.

1) The coolant temp sensor is bad or has a faulty connection.
2) The CCRM is bad.
3) The PCM is bad.
4) There is a ground problem.

I would start by grabbing a multimeter and measuring voltage going to the coolant temp sensor and measure the sensor's resistance across the two terminals. Also check all the grounds including the starter ground, the chassis to engine ground (by the airbox), and the grounds on the radiator support. Don't forget to inspect the battery and terminals as well.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The 4.6L can run on four cylinders. It's a 2.3L V4!! ROFL

Mine ran with one coil pack unplugged.

um, yeah good times. Check all your electrical connections; odds are something ridiculously simple went wrong, the trick is finding teh SOB. One time I stalled out at a stop sign and couldn't restart (I have an automatic so a stall is VERY weird) and it was a loose negative cable.

hope you resolve it but if it's any consolation it can't be anything too terrible-- these 4.6s are too ridiculously strong for that.

best,
ghost

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well there are several possibilities here.

1) The coolant temp sensor is bad or has a faulty connection.
2) The CCRM is bad.
3) The PCM is bad.
4) There is a ground problem.

I would start by grabbing a multimeter and measuring voltage going to the coolant temp sensor and measure the sensor's resistance across the two terminals. Also check all the grounds including the starter ground, the chassis to engine ground (by the airbox), and the grounds on the radiator support. Don't forget to inspect the battery and terminals as well.
CCRM? PCM? Where are they located?

·
5,650 Posts
Learn the art of search my friend and you'll get answers much quicker than waiting for people to post replies.

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module, aka ECM (Engine Control Module), aka EEC (Electronic Engine Control/Computer)) is located behind the passenger kick panel.

The CCRM (Control Control Relay Module) is a box of relays located between the airbox and passenger headlight. It houses relays for the fan, PCM, A/C clutch and fuel pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Learn the art of search my friend and you'll get answers much quicker than waiting for people to post replies.

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module, aka ECM (Engine Control Module), aka EEC (Electronic Engine Control/Computer)) is located behind the passenger kick panel.

The CCRM (Control Control Relay Module) is a box of relays located between the airbox and passenger headlight. It houses relays for the fan, PCM, A/C clutch and fuel pump.
I tried to search but couldnt really get what i was looking for, thank you for your help! I already replaced the CCRM and that wasnt the problem, im about to replace the PCM now, hopefully that will fix it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts