TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my car in the morning there is a slight shudder in what seems to be the motor but as I back up it feels like it is in the steering system. When I go to start it 4 hours later, the motor (most times) shudders violently and at times stales. If it doesnt stall the shudder continues in reverse until I put it in drive then goes away. When the shudder is mild I can increase it by turning the wheel back and forth. Until the car warms up for a few miles there is an odd feel as I turn the strng wheel back and forth. almost like a positive stop or the slightest force is need just at the beginning of the motion to go in the oposite direction.
My 97 t-bird has 150,000 miles and is a 3.8, I replaced the trans at 130,000 miles with a salvaged 30,000 mile trans. It was flushed and put back in with non mercon v fluid. For the last 70,000 miles I have suspected a head gasket issue but I see no smoke in the exhaust, nor do I have any of the problems the my last t-bird had when its gaskets went. It does require a half gallon of rad fluid every 2000- 3000 miles.on 90 degree plus days on trips over 10 miles it nearly overheats only when the air is on. the overheating only started when my belt and tension pulley had to be replaced which promted me to also re-charge my air system. I no longer have any drips on the garage floor although there is always some anti freeze on the cross member under the motor. (maybe the pressure in the system increases when I am driving and blows it under the car from somewhere. on many days there is a slight antifreeze smell coming from somewhere. I also know my drivers side motor mount is bad. I also recently replaced plugs and EGR.
I have a set of SC springs from someone on this site for free or maybe trade a driver side mount. I live in warren MI. I will also sell this car for no less then 2,000. I need an E-150 for the fourth baby due in june.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
your bad motor mount is causing the shudder. In reverse the engine torque the other direction, so the issue is only presented when you're in reverse.

Id bet your water pump gasket or the water pump wheep hole is leaking.

-Thomas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts