TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Over the holiday I am looking to swap to the PI cams and intake for my 97 Cougar XR7. The car has 130,000 miles on it. Is there anything I should do along with this as far maintennance? Timing chain/guides etc? I plan to do one mod a month with my spare cash so I figured to start here. How does this sound for a start to get the Cougar into the 13's?

1. Pi Cams/intake
2. Underdrive pullies
3. J/mod or PA manual valvebody ( which is better?? ?
4. 4.10's and chip
5. Marauder torque converter ( mine is starting to shudder )
6. 75mm throttle body, plenum, MAF

Is that a reasonable plan? Or do you recomend just saving up 2-3K and strapping on a vortech or procharger?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
if the car had 50,000 miles on it i would still change the timing chains and guides. they are not that expensive and just think of all the work to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
97ThunderCat said:
...... I plan to do one mod a month with my spare cash......... Or do you recomend just saving up 2-3K and strapping on a vortech or procharger?
hmm.....by the sounds of that, it sounds to me that if something broke from the added strain of a supercharger, you wouldn't have the cash fix it

IMO, you'd be better off adding mods and keeping it N/A

i used all the original stuff when my PI cams were slapped on......i had about 120k........it won't hurt to have new chains/guides/tensioners though......i would have if i had the extra cash at the time

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I figure better to stay n/a where I feel the car is more than capable of handling the power. I've had it two years and never a peep out of the engine or drivetrain. been a great car. Just want to see 13's and I'll be a happy man.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There is not a piece of research anywhere that shows a 75MM TB will out perform a 70MM TB on a NA engine. Save the extra $ and put it towards the exhaust you going to need with that thing breathing in that much.

If you are chipping it assuming you have colder plugs, thermo and 80mm MAF already?.?.?

You will like the changes. That TC will help make it more fun also. Since you have it out should get and new Drive Shaft for it.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
BirdofPrey97 said:
There is not a piece of research anywhere that shows a 75MM TB will out perform a 70MM TB on a NA engine
very true.....unless you're getting a VERY good deal on it, like KrazyT who got the plenum/TB combo for like-new for ~$200 or something, skip that and leave it until the very end, if you have left over cash

the way i would go about things would:

1. Jmod/Cooler (our tranny's need all they help they can get)
2. SCT Chip/MAF (better mileage if you can keep your foot out of heavy throttle = money savings starting day 1 :) )
3. Marauder torque converter
4. PI Cams/Intake
5. Underdrive pullies
6. 75mm throttle body, plenum

i wouldn't worry too much about the chip not being burned for PI cams/intake......my now car pulls 13:1 A/F ratio all the way across the board, same as when it was stock w/ J-tune and had nothing else on it

depending on how bad your TC is shuddering, you might wanna move that up on your list of priorities

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shudder occurs rarely. I just feel it in the 34-55 range but again very rarely.

I think the PI cams/intae will be first up as they are more or less the least involved to do. I still need to get a hold of a pumpkin ( harder to do than I thought, anyone know where to get one? ). So the gears and chip will wait on that as well. I was thinking to do the basic n/a bolt ons and what not first which wont affect the chip. Then do the chip, gears, maf, t-stat all at once last thing as they are the most expensive and most involved. What is your opinion on manual valve bodies?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had a trusted Ford Mechanic look at mine and him being a T-Bird owner himself for many years and we ended up with a 99 GT Valve Body for my J-mod with the Marauder TC and man do I love it. But that's just me.

I don't like valves in a tranny shouldn't be any. All solenoid is the only way to go if we only could.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
guitar maestro said:
2. SCT Chip/MAF (better mileage if you can keep your foot out of heavy throttle = money savings starting day 1 :) )
funny you say that..

since i had lonnie send me a new file w/ the 02-03 GT maf xfer function and i popped her in.. and some other tweaks..

my mpg went from 16.7-16.8 UP to 18.65 AVG for last 2weeks

this does include WOT from the light pretty often... mostly city driving..

hehehehehe

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
oh btw.. stock tune w/ cams and intake? ugh.. 15-16.1 if i lucky.. Lonnie's tune gave me 16.5avg since i got on it all the time

with the install of the 03GT MAF and some more Lonnie tweaks, now i get 18+

just to clarify

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
jamesD said:
oh btw.. stock tune w/ cams and intake? ugh.. 15-16.1 if i lucky.. Lonnie's tune gave me 16.5avg since i got on it all the time

with the install of the 03GT MAF and some more Lonnie tweaks, now i get 18+

just to clarify

That's about what I was getting. PI CAms, Intake, GT MAF and 3.73 gears and i was still averaging 18+ mpg with Lonnie's computer work.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
97ThunderCat said:
Damn thats awesome. I drive a hundred miles a day so I could use that, lol.
see i told ya that chip/maf upgrade should be prioritized :)

hell, i need to get my 02 MAF in there as well...i just don't have the cash for a reflash right now

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does the GT box/maf run out of the box or will I need a tune right away? if so I'll do it first, otherwise wait till I have more done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts