TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are making plans to update our Tbird at the end of the summer this year. I have the specs for the Mustang Dual piston calipers for the front and Updating the rear drum brakes to disc. But the one thing I want the car to have is a SPORT switch. The idea is I want to flip one switch that turns off the overdrive and stiffens the shocks.
My question is does anyone make struts and shocks that are electronic adjustable? Any issues or is it just add 12 volts and they get stiffer? Thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
We are making plans to update our Tbird at the end of the summer this year. I have the specs for the Mustang Dual piston calipers for the front and Updating the rear drum brakes to disc. But the one thing I want the car to have is a SPORT switch. The idea is I want to flip one switch that turns off the overdrive and stiffens the shocks.
My question is does anyone make struts and shocks that are electronic adjustable? Any issues or is it just add 12 volts and they get stiffer? Thanks
The 89-95 SuperCoupe (and some versions of the Cougar XR-7 had Tokiko electronically adjustable shocks. They are very hard to come by these days if I remember correctly, and the controllers for them would need to be sourced from an 89-95 SC.

For the Overdrive, we already have a button for that. I use mine whenever I pass to disable overdrive so I can do a full throttle pass.

It could be possible if someone makes an aftermarket two way electronically adjustable shock to wire in a multi-function device to trigger the shocks to go into "firm" and disable the Overdrive at the same time. Mustang guys use them often to disable the traction control on startup if they don't tune it out, or to automate other functions.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I use my O/D switch too, but just want to add a second switch that will do both the O/D and Stiffen the suspension. I know how to wire things for the switch I want but need source for those electronic shocks and struts. Oh, I noticed that there is a light in my instrument cluster that says "Firm Ride". I'll even wire that in.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Currently nobody make adjustable shocks for our cars. Nobody makes performance shocks period now that Tokico discontinued the Illuminas and the Blues. You can still find them if you keep a close eye on ebay but they arent cheap.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You can get QA1 shocks from SuperCoupePerformance.com, with the parts needed to work on our cars. They're not electrically adjustable, but they are very adjustable.

SuperCoupePerformance also has a stock of the Tokiko Blues that work on our cars (2 complete sets left). Those, combined with good Vogtland lowering springs will give you good ride comfort and improved cornering ability.

·
Super Moderator
12,561 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you only want to adjust body roll, don't mind stiffer springs in sport mode and don't mind a bit of DIY and tinkering, you could make a pneumatically 2-way adjustable suspension setup by replacing your sway bar end links with double acting pneumatic cilinders.

With the "sport" switch you could then actuate a valve that extends or retracts the cilinders, giving you 2 setups that vary from each other in stiffness according to the difference in bore size and bore size minus shaft size of the cilinders. Or you could make it fully adjustable with 2 pressure controle valves.

Pneumatic components are usually very cheap and pneumatic lines are easy to route but it requires a (small) 12V compressor and a small air tank however.
It also requires to install (or build) stiffer sway bars because the cilinders are in effect an air spring in series with the sway bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts