TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here are some pics of the upgrades going on... I would have done stock... but when PI is CHEAPER than stock... well you know how THAT goes...

Here's the garage... sort-of

Here's the Engine... New high flow oil pump installed...

Here's the stack of goodies waiting in the wings...

PI Heads, new water pump, high flow oil pump, new timing set, new starter... also need to flush and fill the trans while I'm at it.

Oh yeah... How do I pull off any of the main caps. I want to check them out while I'm in there as well?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotta use something to keep stuff out of the way. This all started when I had lost oil pressure to my heads and I spun 3 of the 5 bearings in the passenger head...

Now I've got to do the oil filter relocation and the TRUE oil pressure mod so I can see if I've really got pressure or not... Maybe I'll also get to see if I can actually get my odometer to start working again...

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Oh yeah... How do I pull off any of the main caps. I want to check them out while I'm in there as well?
first remove the side bolts....the hollow jacking screws use a allen hex and require reverse rotation to tighten/loosen.....once those are loose, and the main cap bolts are out, you can remove the main cap....be sure you have a manual handy or do a search for the proper torqueing sequence to put the main caps back on

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
first remove the side bolts....the hollow jacking screws use a allen hext and require reverse rotation to tighten/loosen.....once those are loose, and the main cap bolts are out, you can remove the main cap....be sure you have a manual handy or do a search for the proper torqueing sequence to put the main caps back on
Also make sure you stamp the caps so you know where they go and what orientation they go in. You dont want to mix the caps up!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help!!!!!

OK... what is the new bolt size for the PI camshafts? The ones off my stock heads DO NOT FIT!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, last question for a while. When I was pulling the block out, there was a temp sensor that the guy had "cluged" into the system. It was literally hose-clamped around a piece of heater hose coming from the block to the heater core. It was inserted into a legit plug in the wiring harness on the back passenger side of the block. It was a matching single wire plug (like on the oil sender unit - Red 90 degree plug). Any idea what it could be? If it's supposed to be a temp sensor, shouldn't it have been screwed into the block or the heads?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
OK, last question for a while. When I was pulling the block out, there was a temp sensor that the guy had "cluged" into the system. It was literally hose-clamped around a piece of heater hose coming from the block to the heater core. It was inserted into a legit plug in the wiring harness on the back passenger side of the block. It was a matching single wire plug (like on the oil sender unit - Red 90 degree plug). Any idea what it could be? If it's supposed to be a temp sensor, shouldn't it have been screwed into the block or the heads?
Back of the engine temp sensor? My guess would be it's the temp control for the SATC (semi-automatic temperature control). It's just for the air conditioner/heater so when you first start the car it doesn't blow out right away until it senses the engine running, warming up, and circulating coolant.

Dang GM, beat me by 2 minutes...lol

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Isn't a high volume pump overkill on the sohc? I heard they will suck the pan dry and cause more harm then good.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if its spinning over 5k RPMs for extended periods of time such as testing top speeds in 3rd gear with 3.27s, yup....and even if that's not being done, its creating extra oil pressure for nothing, thus causing parasitic HP loss

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, with the temp sensor... it was NOT a professional looking install. As I said, it was cluged in place... it was hose clamped on the OUTSIDE of a piece of heater hose. Shouldn't it be in the block or heads?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does anyone have a picture of where it is supposed to go stock?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nope...stock, that sensor is on a hardline, not in the block or heads
GM, do you happen to have a pic of the sensor where it goes? I didn't see a hardline at all that it fit into when taking the engine apart.

Also this car has the PI intake... so did that eliminate the hardline that it went into?

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Also this car has the PI intake... so did that eliminate the hardline that it went into?
The old hardline that went from the waterpump to the heater core had that sensor in it; I cut my tube, and spliced it in behind the head.

You need a waste stock tube to cut up or a T that the sensor will screw into, and splice that into the line.

Don't forget to ground the case. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts