TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bushings will/ should I replace when I get a new upper and lower ball joints to replace the ones that failed.

On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it?
Whats needed. Arbor press for the bottom one right?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
you should be able to buy a bushing kit for the front end that has everything you will need. i know supercoupeperformance has a poly kit but it runs around $200.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any tips of how to get the upper ball joint peg thing free from the spindle?

Its only one nut and bolt, but I undid the nut and even tried to hammer it out, Any suggestions?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its only one nut and bolt, but I undid the nut and even tried to hammer it out, Any suggestions?

Take the bolt out, all the way out. Then use a pry bar to spread the spindle knuckle a bit (not too much!) and then use a hammer to knock the stud out. If it's rusted, you might need to apply some P B Blaster or similar penetrant on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yes, you aboslutely HAVE to remove the bolt from the spindle completely...it fits into that little groove in the new ball joint's spindle to prevent it from slipping out, even if you don't tighten the bolt down enough to compress the knuckle all the way.

what i had to do was use my tire tool as a prybar....i put it in between the top of the knuckle and the bottom of the upper control arm to get leverage, then beat the ever-loving S**T out of the bottom of the control arm/tire tool while applying upward pressure on the tire tool, until the spindle came free from the knuckle.

a side note, it's a good idea to tie the spindle that the knuckle is a part of to the spring so that when it comes loose, the spindle doesn't flop around.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
hmmm that sounds like alot of work, when i did mine i used the ol air hammer. its the only way to go. let the tool do the work for ya thats what i say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts