TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , both our T-birds have cracked-out upper ball joint boots. Does anybody recommend a brand with part number for a replacement? It looks like Energy Suspension doesn't really make a set specifically for Thunderbirds, so what part
(w/number) would most likely still work well? Also, my daughter's bird has a minor amount of play in the passenger upper ( almost can't even see it move ), can a packing of grease and a new boot keep the car going for many miles to come?
Keep in mind that she is not looking for optimum performance, just safe smooth road transportation until things really need replacement. thanks , edman

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
IMHO, the best bet is to replace the upper A arms. If you can see it move while it is bolted up I would suspect it is shot. I think you will find that when you unbolt everything the stud will flop around and is way too loose.

New arms are $35 to $60 (depending on brand) each from RockAuto (don't forget about the 5% discount).
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1283584

And they aren't all that difficult to do. These cars are notorious for the ball joints going bad. Bad things happen when they fail. :beek:

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
^^^Cool I didnt know those were available. On a side note, I got one of those Help! tie rod boots one time and i dont think it totally kept things sealed, just most of it. The boots available on the above site may do much better!

·
Banned
198 Posts
I Used Silocon Elc Tape

The One That Strecks Wrapped Tight Then Use 3m Plastic Elc Tape Around That Then Spray With Rubber Undercoating Has Held Up For 2 Years Now:d

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
the boots above do a great job at keeping dirt out and you can feel them with grease before installion

Robert

·
It is nice
885 Posts
I would recommend replacing the whole arm with new ball joints if the ball joints are on the way out. Those polyurethane covers are not a good choice on old ball joints.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
I would recommend replacing the whole arm with new ball joints if the ball joints are on the way out. Those polyurethane covers are not a good choice on old ball joints.
True , But the boots are also good protection for new or used joints , I have them installed and know first hand :cool:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Here's the deal, these boots are great insurance if you have caught the boot as it starts tearing, this is not for a worn out upper ball joint, this is to keep the ball joint that's still in good shape to stay in shape for a very long time if you need a set or 2 hit me up

Robert

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well, my '95's ball joints seemed tight, miles just over 64K, but boots were badly torn / deteriorated. I wanted to save them from the elements.

So today I took a few minutes and raised her up and puled the front wheels and pulled the pinch bolt and pulled the torn stock boots wondering if they were going to be loose.

I removed the metal retainer rings and remnants of original boots with the aid of small dykes ... and then removed the soft inner sleeve (that seemed to hinder the new ones sliding up into position ... the stock bioot had a metal lower ring and fit around it's base .... these are thicker and fit snuggly) and cleaned the joints of old grease and checked them for movement (it was smooth) and play (there was none) slipped the new red boots in place, then before pushing all the way up I filled them with grease, then pushed up and reinstall stud into knuckle and pinch bolt and torqued and put wheels on and wiped the excess grease that had oozed out away .... done.

Originals had TRW and 10-62134 molded in them, couldn't find them on the net.

The new ones did fit well. They should hold grease in and weather out.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yeap I told you guys there are really a nice fit, heck there on my car

Robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts