TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L 2V
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time posting. I'm in the middle of replacing pretty much the entire front suspension on my '95 4.6 T-bird. I got the passenger side torn apart, and noticed that the upper control arm was labeled "LH." No part number, it looks like the factory part, and it looks like it's been in the car for years. I've only owned her for a year and a half, so I can't prove it. I checked the driver's side, and it's labeled "RH." I looked up the part numbers on the new ones I have, checked Google for pictures, and consulted with a friend of a friend who has worked on birds for years, and everything says they're backwards. Probably explains why my inner tie rods are trashed. Pic for you to groan/chuckle at (the as-of-yet not disassembled driver's side):
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,414 Posts
It's a drag, tho; that 18mm nut is about the hardest one to do on the whole car. :)

The worst one I've found is the high pressure steering hose at the rack:(
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cerrosafe

·
Registered
1994 mercury cougar xr7
Joined
·
6 Posts
Yeah I have a 94 cougar and did my entire front end and you won’t believe it but mine was also installed backwards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
It's a drag, tho; that 18mm nut is about the hardest one to do on the whole car. :)

The worst one I've found is the high pressure steering hose at the rack:(
Boy you ain't kidding about that rack attachment. I spent a day under my car beating myself up. Getting the AN fitting into the pump was a challenge too, I ruined 4 Earls before I got it right. The cast pump case is way tougher than the fitting and any misalignment will wreck the threads immediately and then the fitting blows off and you get an ATF bath.

Hi all, first time posting. I'm in the middle of replacing pretty much the entire front suspension on my '95 4.6 T-bird. I got the passenger side torn apart, and noticed that the upper control arm was labeled "LH." No part number, it looks like the factory part, and it looks like it's been in the car for years. I've only owned her for a year and a half, so I can't prove it. I checked the driver's side, and it's labeled "RH." I looked up the part numbers on the new ones I have, checked Google for pictures, and consulted with a friend of a friend who has worked on birds for years, and everything says they're backwards. Probably explains why my inner tie rods are trashed. Pic for you to groan/chuckle at (the as-of-yet not disassembled driver's side):
Wow. That must have been a ***** to do wrong. They go on simply enough on the proper side but wow. That is the kind of thing I do and then I see it is wrong when almost finished and work all night to fix it so nobody sees it. Then I pretend it never happened and was piece of cake.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top