TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference in the 96-97 T Bird/Cougar upper intake plenums and the newer (say 02) Gt's intake plenums...maybe size wise or no? I'm going to be swapping my upper over to 96-97 style soon so I can utilize some PI stuff and all the help I can get now would be great...Also, while I'm at it...the stock 02 GT TB is 65mm right? And the 02 GT MAF...80mm? And maybe the stock MN12 TB too...~63ish mm?? Thanks all in advance.

Joe

·
Registered
615 Posts
The sizes for the stangs and birds I think are all the same. If you utilize the mustang plenum you will have to drill and tap a hole so you can have vacuum for the brake booster, since the stangs run a hydroboost system.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does C&L make a plenum for MN12's that would have the extra vacuum line already plumbed, or do they only make them for stangs? I'd like to have a pretty good flowing plenum for my upcoming project, or does anyone think that the C&L would be a waste of $$??

·
Registered
615 Posts
The C&L kit is only for the stangs, drilling the line for the brake booster is not much of a hassale. I personally have never herd anything good about their products, maybe it could just be their MAFS. I do know that Accufab has the best flowing upper intake according to Modulardepot.com.

Check that place out they have a lot of good info.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
George Klass said:
Nobody is more anal when it comes to testing on the flow bench than John Mihovetz. The man can litterally wear out "air". John wanted to test all of the availble 4.6L Plenums and so, after about 4 hours on Westech's flow bench, here are the results. All test results are at 28" and are shown in CFM (cubic feet per minute). John is very adamant about one thing relating to these tests. Increased CFM does not automatically mean increased HP and torque. In fact, in many cases, it's just the opposite. For instance, with a basically stock 4.6L GT, a 75MM TB will probably cost you HP and torque over the smaller 70MM unit. We will be running all of these Plenums on an actual engine (on Westech's engine dyno) with Richard Holdener very soon, so stay tuned. For now, here are the CFM results, in no particular order. Obviously, all tests were using our Accufab 70MM or 75MM TB.

Plenum combination....................CFM
-------------------------....................-----
Stock plenum only ('98-'00)........498
with stock 65MM TB....................441
with 70MM TB.............................491
with 75MM TB.............................488

Stock plenum only ('01 & up)......505
with stock 65MM TB....................460
with 70MM TB.............................488
with 75MM TB.............................491

Trick Flow plenum only...............616
with 70MM TB............................595
with 75MM TB............................593

C&L plenum only.......................569
with 70MM TB............................557
with 75MM TB............................597

Dragon plenum only...................664
with 70MM TB.............................611
with 75MM TB.............................619

Accufab 70MM plenum only........619
with 70MM TB.............................628
with 75MM TB.............................614

Accufab 75MM plenum only.........680
with 70MM TB.............................628
with 75MM TB.............................628

REMEMBER, CFM is not necessarily related to how much HP and torque you will see, particularly on a stock or lightly modified engine. Interesting reading, however.
courtesy of MD.com

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
If you have a drill and $14, you can buy a NPT tap and die from Home Depot and a brass fitting from Pep Boys to go from NPT to 3/8" barbed hose and add an outlet for your breaklines. It took me 20 minutes to figure out where I wanted it, drill it, and tap it. It was very easy and anybody can do it. Just be sure to use hose clamps and get the transmission cooler style hose, where it's heavy duty with reinforced walls so it does not colapse under vacuum.

Here's a pic to help out. I thought the best place to drill and tap the hole for the fitting was right by the idle air port, just to the right of the C&L logo.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts