TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the tbird world, and was wondering about upper plenums. As I looked around at others car specs no one lists if they have upgraded their upper plenums. Is this upgrade possible? I have a 96 4.6L tbird. The one I'm interested in is the Trickflow piece and possibly a BBK 70 or 75mm TB. Any suggestion or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a Accufab plenum with a 75mm TB. I gained ~.5mph in the 1/4. Its really not worth it on a stock engine in my opinion. On the other hand throttle response is much better with the bigger TB.

-Andrey

·
Registered
615 Posts
The C&L plenum is also a good pick with a BBK 75mm throttle body, both JL and Hans run that. I also think Hans has a dyno chart posted on MD somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
last i heard, JL is running a Bullit intake on his Renegade built engine...im not sure bout Hans, i thought he had a regular PI upper-lower intake setup

i have the C&L/Accufab 75mm TB combo, and so does KrazyT....there is a current thread on the Video section with pics, i believe

·
Registered
615 Posts
My bad, you are right Oscar about JL running the Bullit intake. Too my knowledge he did have the C&L, BBK combo before he got the bulit and I am sure that Hans is running the same.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the accufab upper plenum with a 70mm TB.
I noticed a difference in the upper rpms.

Howerver like any bolt on the more you have done the
more you will gain from the bolt on. You have to start
somewere.

Steve 4.6L

·
Registered
166 Posts
using the 75 BBk and CnL plenum, doing a dyno runs before with the stock 96 tb and plenum and after swapping, the gain was 5 rwhp having comp 268 cams in the older 94/5 heads. although this swap was done on the same dyno, the same day, about an hour differnce in time, it doesn't take into account many factors like temperature of the plenum itself and such. the accufab 75 unit wasn't out when i bought this, otherwise i would have gotten that. i don't belive that JL ran the bbk and cnl combo.

if you choose to get the CnL plenum, you need to specify to them that you have a T-bird, because of the size of some of the hoses that need to be connected to it.

steve 4.6, you need a heat sheild. your engine bay is very clean, you can make one out of plexiglass or sheet metal.

hans

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Han Solo said:

steve 4.6...
... your engine bay is very clean...

hans
his engine bay never got dirty...it only has about 10k on the ticker:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hans no need to worry about that heat shield....
that was one of my economy S+M tubes I set up that worked well.

No need for a heat shield now.... I got this bolting on!!!!!

RedBird96 dont worry i'll have a 90 deg elbow it will be custom
made right to the snout of that blower!!!

Steve 4.6L

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Yeah i think over all the Trickflow is the best money for the deal. Overall an aftermarket plenum doesn't add much power but if you are going to buy one the trickflow is nice. And i think the least ugly of the bunch. I got the trickflow with a bbk 75mm tb and granted you don't gain much in HP but throttle response feels noticeable better then stock.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Running the Accufab plenum and 70mm TB. You don't gain anything on a N/A motor by going up to a 75mm. If future plans are going to include blower or NOS then yes go with the 75mm.

I have tried, FRPP, BBK, C&L and a few other along with the Accufab and I prefer the Accufab.

Worked with the people there at Accufab and they were great. Sent them a few pics of my intake and the plenum into them and within 2 days I had the plenum back and it was a direct bolt on including 2 different sizes for the vaccum hose that needs to be hooked up. They over nighted the product to me at no charge and even followed it up with a phone call asking how the installation and operation of the piece was working. That's customer service in my book.

If you are series about them pm me and I can get you the setup for around $400 shipped to your door. Least should be able to provided you don't live at some far away non-US location.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
They run about 450 for the pair.

Dave
hmm, lets compare

Plenum+TB: $450. 5rwhp. $90 per rwhp
Cams: $570. 20rwhp (and that's conservative) $28 per rwhp

Which one are you going to do? :rolleyes:

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
GreenBird said:

hmm, lets compare

Plenum+TB: $450. 5rwhp. $90 per rwhp
Cams: $570. 20rwhp (and that's conservative) $28 per rwhp

Which one are you going to do? :rolleyes:
While I certainly agree with you, it may just be a little more complicated than that. For starters, it is definitely a good idea if not required to upgrade to aftermarket springs not to mention a tune/retune, and secondly, there are probably a decent number of people out there who just don't have the resources/knowledge to do a cam install. The plenum install is much simpler.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
PI intake is a good HP/$$ ratio upgrade...considering that you know how to do it! u can pick one up for as low as like $130

1 - 20 of 34 Posts