TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of front shocks off a 89 sc to get the stiffer springs for my 96 lx. I just bought a new set of ford oem shocks/struts for a 96 sport. Can I use the upper mount off the sc struts on my 96 lx? I want to be able to drive my car to the shop to get the springs switched over if I can. Thanks for any help.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Your post seems haphazard, as you bought 6 shocks and no springs to install springs!?

First of all, they are all shocks. Struts will rotate when you turn the wheel, shocks do not. We also don't have a coil over suspension, because the springs do not mount to the shocks.

Now to try and answer your question. SC and sport springs are the same. SC shocks can be used on an LX, if you can lock them into firm mode (I don't know how to do that).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found out on sccoa.com that the upper mount is different on a sc. That is why they can't use regular struts desinged for an non ARC 'bird. So I will need to use my original upper mounts with the sc springs on the new shocks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
GreenBird said:

We also don't have a coil over suspension, because the springs do not mount to the shocks.

Well, a coil over is not a type of a suspension. It is a shock/spring assembly. What exactly do you mean by the springs do not mount to the shocks? On the rear maybe...

John

·
11,719 Posts
dode said:

Well, a coil over is not a type of a suspension. It is a shock/spring assembly. What exactly do you mean by the springs do not mount to the shocks? On the rear maybe...

John
Coil-over refers to the spring being attached to the shock, and only the shock. Our cars have the spring and shock mounted separetely.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
ummm...like I said, on the rear yes, on the front, ummmm...no

John

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
GreenBird said:

Coil-over refers to the spring being attached to the shock, and only the shock. Our cars have the spring and shock mounted separetely.
On the front the springs are on the shocks only, on the rear they are between the upper and lower arms.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
okcbird said:

On the front the springs are on the shocks only, on the rear they are between the upper and lower arms.
exactly

·
Registered
51 Posts
Front Strut Mounts

When replacing the front struts, you should replace the mounts as well. These tend to wear out, and it is a fairly cheap part...like $40...it will save you a lot of headaches in the future

·
11,719 Posts
okcbird said:

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I've got some repairs to make.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
GreenBird said:

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I've got some repairs to make.

Well where exactly are yours then? Let me guess, you have some sort of weird factory freak car? Lets see pictures.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts