TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not going to go into a full-on tirade on these guys because we might have some on our board, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but in my experience, owners of the brand new design thunderbirds are a bit stuck-up. It's really disappointing, I'm all about the thunderbirds. I wave whenever I see another MN12 driving by. most people have no idea or they just give a weird look back. but there is from time to time an mn12 owner that will wave back or who at least gets it. but in my experience I've noticed anytime I complement someone with one of the brand-new thunderbirds they just seem to take it wrong.

Damned yuppies.

Those new tbirds look sick but I'm 19, and won't have $37,995 any time soon. (what one of these tbirds costs). but just once, I'd like to see someone drive their car like a $37,000 car should be driven; that is, permenant 24/7 "bat out of hell" mode all the time.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
got news for ya... the new ones arent made to be driven in "bat outta hell mode." My dad test drove one, said to hell with it and bought a new cobra instead.

From what I understand they are a bit anemic, and chassis flex is pretty bad.

head room sucks too :(

seems to me that most owners of the new birds arent neccasarily enthusiasts. And dont seem to understand alot of the "car guy" camaraderie.

·
Registered
633 Posts
they started in 02.

My mom has one , she waves to and waves back at other 02+ tbird owners, and alot of people comment to her when the top is down. She is not a yuppie, she worked hard for the car and it was her dream come true to have a 2 seater vert bird, she never got her 57 as a kid.

Some people bought the car because they want it, some bought it for status/yuppie lease car.

Check http://thunderbirdnest.com for diehard owners, not snot nosed milf's/old men.
thats's the demographic for the new tbird, and there is a decent number of people who actually like the car and know the history, are in clubs, etc. those people will wave to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol! like I said in my first post, definately no offense intended towards your mom, RyanG. :)

They are really cool cars so it's too bad they're not as sporty as they look. although the specs aren't too bad but I've never driven one myself. I suppose they appeal more to a PT cruiser style retro market. (although the tbird at least has a v8 which owns your average pt cruiser!). I would probably go for a cobra too if I was in that price bracket. I guess I'm just a bit jealous / weary of people I see sometimes who have such a nice car and don't seem to be enthusiasts. nice to know there are still car clubs like thunderbirdnest and tccoa, which seem to inspire this kind of camradery. I don't care if they leave the car completely stock, just as long as they maintain an intrest I guess.

my tbird is my second car I've ever owned. my first car was an 85 ford tempo (a terrible car in most respects but I loved it, probably because it was my first car.) I would even wave at the few tempos still on the road and not broken down or in a junkyard. that car left me stranded so many times but I still loved the car. I guess it takes a specific type of person to maintain that kind of intrest in a particular car.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Hey drleephd, I see your fairly new here, welcome to the club! I am surprised the new bird doesnt have more of a following like the PT....I mean a neon with a new body has this huge loyalty, and the new bird...is being canceled. Oh well...I test drove one...it felt quck but i drive a focus now, so almost anything feels qucick. It was okay but not the car for me....hell I couldnt even break the tires loose (and I test drove it for like a half hour, got it up to 100, etc.) overall, nice, but I would much rather have a lot of other stuff first. If it would have come with a 4.6 and an avail. manual it would have been a good car. Oh well I guess. I'ts funny I just started a thread kinda like this about snobs who have nice cars. It's everywehre man, people have nice stuff and either dont appreciate it, or have no conception of how others could possibly appreciate their stuff...they're morons, pay them no mind.

EArl

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey earl, thanks for the welcome.... my guess is just that the new birds cost too much to appeal to the PT cruiser crowd which is unfortunate. I'm scared to think how fast my 94 would be if I spent $37k and upgraded EVERYTHING lol. In the few days I've been reading over this board so far it looks like some people have put in nearly that much money in their cars too, it's scary.
at least you got to take one out and drive the wheels off it. test drives are fun.
my guess is that the dealer didn't think to ask if he could ride along since you broke 100mph. I've been doing a bunch of test drives lately for my friend who doesn't have his license yet, but he's looking at some japanese cars that I'm not really that into. (no headroom at all) but how do you like your focus? I love my tbird but I think my next car will be a bit smaller, lighter, and better mileage. I kinda like the styling on the focus wagons. and I've always had a thing for 93ish audi quattros.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Earl said:
I am surprised the new bird doesnt have more of a following like the PT....I mean a neon with a new body has this huge loyalty, and the new bird...is being canceled. EArl
Probably because Plymouth didn't price themselves right out of the market.

Ford screwed up big time on the new bird. They could have built twice the car for half the price, but they decided to make it a retro/exotic, and failed on all counts.

If they wanted limited appeal, they have it. Too bad it's so limited, they aren't selling enough to keep making them.

Too bad, really. I like the lines of the car, and I'll bet they would haul butt with a little work.:rant:

OK, I feel better now...

Doug

·
Registered
817 Posts
lol theres a dark silver at the ford dealership around the corner from me thats been there for 6 months. i have only seen 1 of the new birds driving on the road. it was red, and some old guy was driving it.stupid ford. they made it too expensive and crappy imo. they need a car to compete with the corvette, that shouldve been it. shouldve been a supercharged 4.6 with a t56 6 speed and 2 seater, wouldve competed with the corvette, and the price range of 35-40g's, and run 12's like the corvette. but nooo they put in a little *** v8, what is it like a 3.9? they made the bird look alright, couldve been better. ive seen the chip foose one on some discovery special and i thought that what he did to the car was just badass.

have you guys seen the new stangs for 2005. they suck. here comes ford again trying out the retro look and i think its a fk up. just like theyre killing our tbirds name now in a couple years there goes the mustang, just like chevy did with the camaro. its pathetic. and i also heard from my freind who is now a salesman at ford that the engines will be a 5.0V8 and a 4.3V8, and a 3.*V6. theyre fking nuts. i always heard from the other mustang boards that its gonna be a 4.3V6, a 5.4V8 for the gt, and a 5.4SC for the cobra. now i hear this. god it seems like ford is trying to kill itself. like all they wanna do is focus on the focus and f150 now, like all they care about. and theyre stupid taurus's and explorers. dumasses.

sorry just my rant.

·
8,239 Posts
yup·pie ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yp)
n. Informal
A young city or suburban resident with a well-paid professional job and an affluent lifestyle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[y(oung) + u(rban) + p(rofessional) influenced by yippie.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yuppie·dom n.

Its not a yuppie mobile, its more of an older person car that wants to be young again.
No offense to anyone, but many will agree.

A yuppie mobile is like a 3 series BMW, or a volkswagen SUV.
JH

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
ThomasR91169 said:
lol theres a dark silver at the ford dealership around the corner from me thats been there for 6 months. i have only seen 1 of the new birds driving on the road. it was red, and some old guy was driving it.stupid ford. they made it too expensive and crappy imo. they need a car to compete with the corvette, that shouldve been it. shouldve been a supercharged 4.6 with a t56 6 speed and 2 seater, wouldve competed with the corvette, and the price range of 35-40g's, and run 12's like the corvette. but nooo they put in a little *** v8, what is it like a 3.9? they made the bird look alright, couldve been better. ive seen the chip foose one on some discovery special and i thought that what he did to the car was just badass.

have you guys seen the new stangs for 2005. they suck. here comes ford again trying out the retro look and i think its a fk up. just like theyre killing our tbirds name now in a couple years there goes the mustang, just like chevy did with the camaro. its pathetic. and i also heard from my freind who is now a salesman at ford that the engines will be a 5.0V8 and a 4.3V8, and a 3.*V6. theyre fking nuts. i always heard from the other mustang boards that its gonna be a 4.3V6, a 5.4V8 for the gt, and a 5.4SC for the cobra. now i hear this. god it seems like ford is trying to kill itself. like all they wanna do is focus on the focus and f150 now, like all they care about. and theyre stupid taurus's and explorers. dumasses.

sorry just my rant.
First thing, that little *** V8 makes more horsepower than any 2v 4.6 ever has. I do agree that they should have given it some more oomph, maybe (if they are stuck on the Jag engines) the SC 4.2 from the XKR and a manual tranny, but it is still a very nice car. Selling moderately decently here in Florida, I've seen many more than one on the road.

Second thing, the new Stangs are friggin' awesome. You are the first person I have heard or read about that doesn't like them. Pricing will remain close to what it is now, and where the heck did you hear about a 4.3L V8? Possible V6 engines include the standard 3.8 that they use now, as well as a 24v 3.5 and the SOHC 4.0...Possible V8 engines include the current 4.6 2v, a 3v 4.6, 4v 4.6, 4v 5.0, and 5.4. What direction would you recommend that Ford take with the Mustang? Because the path they have chosen is a heck of a good one. Best execution of the retro path yet by anyone IMO. Stupid Explorers and F-150s? What do you think that Ford makes more money on, a $18k V6 Mustang or a $35k Explorer? I'll give you two guesses, but you should only need one.

There goes the Mustang? :rolleyes: Please....

·
8,239 Posts
I have heard that the 4.2 splitport might find its way into the mustang, as they were doing away with the 3.8 for good. Just rumor on one of the various boards I check out.

Look at the new freestar van, notice the absense of the popular windstar 3.8?

They put a 3.9L v6 in the base windstar, and put the 4.2 splitport truck motor in for the optional motor.

The numbers for the 3.9 are 193/245, and the 4.2 are 201/263. Those are some mean numbers for a minivan.

When the 05 mustang comes out, they will figure a way to get 230hp out of it

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
drleephd said:
at least you got to take one out and drive the wheels off it. test drives are fun.
my guess is that the dealer didn't think to ask if he could ride along since you broke 100mph. I've been doing a bunch of test drives lately for my friend who doesn't have his license yet, but he's looking at some japanese cars that I'm not really that into. (no headroom at all) but how do you like your focus? I love my tbird but I think my next car will be a bit smaller, lighter, and better mileage. I kinda like the styling on the focus wagons. and I've always had a thing for 93ish audi quattros.
Actually the salesman was sitting in the car with me...I've never test driven alone (how do you do that anyway?) I really give to sh!ts what the salesman thinks when I test drive a car...last night I drove a 2000 cobra R lookalike GT...had all the cobra R parts minus the engine & trans...it was FAAAAASSST I got it sideways & the guy freaked :D :D Drive it like you stole it when you test drive...usually if you get a young guy they'll be cool about it...As for the focus? I dont really like it too much, never have...they're kind of a POS IMO...too many recalls and problems...if I where you I wouldnt buy one, and I definantly wouldnt buy a focus wagon...if you want a snot rocket car, I'd suggest going with an SRT neon, a turbo PT, any of the turbo'd subaru's...or maybe a nissan or mazda product...sorry, I just dont have too much love for the focus....just dont get a honda :D j/k get whatever you want but that's just my opinion...and the SVT focus is over-rated and slow. The only thing that would make me absolutely love the focus is a V8/RWD kit...which is possible and cheaper all the time...I might do that after I pay it off. But my next car is probably going to be a 99+ V8 mustang that I will build up to be a cobra R replica like the one I drove last night...just too cool. BTW I got better gas milage out of my V8 thunderbird than I do wiht the focus...well, the focus is no better on gas anyway. And I drove that car fast...especially after the J-chip went in.

·
Registered
817 Posts
the info i have comes direct from the dealership. i straight told the owner hes smoking somethin, but he kept a straight face and says this is what he knows. my buddy is a salesman there and loves selling them. i agree the new birds are fast but not that fast. shouldve been corvette competition IMO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
earl,
yeah, my friend is really into the honda's and that kind of japanese import crowd. I test drove a toyota supra (1989 I think), or maybe it was 91. he was really impressed with it, but when I drove it, it seemed heavier than my thunderbird, more cramped inside and had a trunk that would never fit a 15" sub like I have now (I could fit two if I wanted!). not to mention It probably got about the same mileage as an SC which has about the same HP and way more torque.

I can't see myself driving most of the cars you mentioned. I remember when I was shopping for my tbird all the reasons it made sense to get it. I don't really like small cars but my tbird is kind of a boat. A mustang would be nice. I Think the 05 mustangs look sick, but they'll probably make the same mistake they did with the new tbirds.
I also get better mileage in my thunderbird around town than my ford tempo ever got. (It had a busted catalytic converter) that POS!. it seems I'm always in a love/hate relationship with my car. right now I love my tbird. 131,000miles and counting. I'll probably have it until 200,000 unless something goes horribly wrong. -- the transmission was rebuilt right after I bought it. only about 10,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
What is the situation with your head gaskets? Original? Replaced? IMO you should've gone with the V8 for better gas milage/performance/upgradability...but you do have options with what you have....and an MN12 is still an MN12 regardless. I couldnt really picture myself driving the cars I mentioned either :uppoint: hell, I couldnt picutre myself in a focus...but here I am:rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
head gaskets were serviced before I owned the car. :) . better gas mileage on a v8? I can see performance and upgradeability, but better mileage? how do you figure?
How do the v8's do for gas mileage? that was a main concern when I bought my tbird so I didn't really consider the v8's expecting it to be horrendous. Wish I got an SC though. I'm sure the question comes up a lot, but is it possible to use an SC supercharger in a regular 3.8 N/A ?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Actually if it makes you feel any better, my focus doenst get any better milage than my V8 t-bird did, and the focus makes a whole lot less power and is a whole lot less fun to drive. OH well...I'll have a 4.6 SOMETHING some day.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts