1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
531 Posts
At least those Air Force guys didn't hit that button that said, "Lunch". :tongue:

Oops, that's old sailor in me thinking out loud again. :ssalute:

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
At least those Air Force guys didn't hit that button that said, "Lunch". :tongue:

Oops, that's old sailor in me thinking out loud again. :ssalute:
At least it wasn't "Army Lunch".

"If I set this switch to "Army", and push this "Lunch" botton... Does that mean we get different food?"

:D

We'd better be careful; we'll get our addresses added to the target database. :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Who needs T.V. for evening entertainment when you have the U.S. Government, entertaining its residents non-stop and capturing their interest for decades. :D

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I had never heard of his incident before... this is crazy.
-g

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yeah, and while we're at it I call for a repeal of the Second Amendment.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I've heard of this before. But, I thought the story was that it landed in the ocean some 10 or so miles off the coast of N. Carolina and not in some field actually in NC.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't that nuke still lost?
Yes sir it still is , There was a program on the LC on the mishap , From what was said there it is said to be buried deep in sand (hopefully). Radiation samples are taken regularity in the sound for safely reasons.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
That sounds about right. I just always thought it was off the coast of one of the Carolinas though. Guess it's at the Georgia / S. Carolina border.
I wonder if maritime salvage law applies to military grade radioactive material.
If an enterprising capitalist was able to recover said material, could they get a) environmental non-profits to fund their recovery efforts, b) sell the material back to the US, and c) make a tidy profit?

After all, the alternatives a) leave it there or b) sell it on the open market are probably not as palatable to the US govt.

-g

·
Super Moderator
11,907 Posts
Option A. has been acceptable to the US gov. for over 50 years.

What makes anyone think that that's changed recently?

The fact that the Goldsboro bombs were dropped is no secret. The extent to which they nearly detonated may be new news.

This description (as written in the story Darren linked) is somewhat different from Strays #4 and #5.

There is conflicting information between the two accounts in both the exact date of the incident and the status of the bombs.

First off, one story says January 23 and another January 24, 1961.

Second, one story says:

One fell into a field near Faro, North Carolina, its parachute draped in the branches of a tree; the other plummeted into a meadow off Big Daddy's Road.
And one story says:

... One of the weapons sank in swampy farmland, and its uranium core was never found despite intensive search efforts to a depth of 50 feet. To ensure no one else could recover the weapon, the USAF bought a permanent easement requiring government permission to dig on the land.

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/17483/8-nuclear-weapons-us-has-lost
- Although "medow off Big Daddy's road" and "swampy farmland" are different discriptions of the same area.

I'm familiar with the "fell into a swamp - never recoverd" story. This version of events is confirmed by Wiki. Most of the second bomb was recovered although:

Most of the thermonuclear stage, containing uranium, was left in situ. The Army Corps of Engineers purchased a 400 feet (120 m) circular easement over the buried component.[12] The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill determined the buried depth of the secondary component to be 180 feet (55 m), plus or minus 10 feet (3.0 m).[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Couldn't you just ignore him? he was just trolling:D
Actually an incision would reveal my motivations are honorable.

The herald of hot button issues does ignite emotions which often emerge as a major deficit of tact, while proliferating logical fallacies.

My understanding is that such subjects are allowed on the forum as long as we don't spiral into insults and utter nonsense.

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Actually an incision would reveal my motivations are honorable.
Doing an incision to determine honorability seems moot, somehow...

:)

I wonder if maritime salvage law applies to military grade radioactive material.
If an enterprising capitalist was able to recover said material...

-g
Salvaging this is unlikely; the metals are highly reactive, and are dispersed in the sediment at this point as oxides.

Disturbing it would put you in a cloud of highly radioactive, toxic materials. :)

Even if you get it all, it certainly can't be used as bomb material unless you know how to do some extremely difficult chemistry. On stuff that glows...

Here's the declassified list of nukes that have got loose over the years...

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/weapons/q0268.shtml

Hey, there are good jobs in Texas that involve cutting TNT off metal forms with a hot wire cutter. How'd you like to do that for a living? :eek:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
As far as salvage goes that would be up to a US District Court to award salvage based on Admiralty law. Since the owner is still obtainable (the US government) that is the only one the property could legally go to, and in that case I don't like the ideal of the Court telling me what its worth and I can either take it or the Government will cease it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Doing an incision to determine honorability seems moot, somehow...

Contrary to common misuse the word "moot" doesn't imply that something is superfluous.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts