TCCoA Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USA BUILT 5.4L DOHC could rock some NA socks???

67K views 537 replies 90 participants last post by  twin turbo 281 
#1 · (Edited)
07-25-2005 Post removed due to off topic chest pounding!

This thread was about a 5.4L DOHC installation that another member was planning to develop as a kit for the Thunderbird. Due to the overwhelming bashing by Jerry's crew the kit was canceled.

Why do you ask this happened. The story goes back to the late 1990's when Jerry Wobblueski was asked to perform a tune on a 5.4L SOHC. Jerry claimed to be the greatest of all time and promised he can tune the engine. In the end he failed. He was asked to try again but decided to bail out and keep the money. This blew up in his face.

To cover his error he decided to write one of the Classics the Ford community ever saw. An article on How the 5.4L will Never Make Power. Here claims like the rods were too long, rotating mass and etc were some of the key reasons why ANY 5.4L in any Ford/ Mercury/ Lincoln BODY type will never make more power than a 4.6L.

Since then some of Fords most powerful engines were the 5.4L and the 4.6L was removed from the Mustang platform. The article disappears but his minions continue the fight.

Why, just follow the money. Take KD for example, he runs community founded by Wobblueski. The list goes on and on...

Some people can never admit they were wrong especially when they are getting greased.

Enjoy the ride.

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow! fit right in there, huh? the german term gutentight comes to mind, lol, good find....;)

#6 ·
I hope he doesnt intend to actually drive the car with the front rails hacked up like that.

#7 ·
John... I would feel much better if i actually saw some sorta motor mounts , and still wonder what the final height and clearance will be?

#9 ·
Whoever the guy is outta have some good topics to talk about when its done. I would LOVE to see the final product.

Chris

#11 ·
Looks like no tighter a fit than the 5.4 SOHC (widthwise). All the extra "Meat" for the DOHC heads is on the inside towards the intake manifold.

#12 ·
What intake is that? I was trying to look closely but I cant see ifn its welded up or not.

Chris

#14 · (Edited)
Perspective is everything!That motor is plain, flat, wider..........Sitting on the K-Frame, motor mts. missing, and ''centered'', when the actual install onna mn-12 is biased toward the pass side...sits higher... etc., Still do - able, but a looooong,long ways to go. needs at least 1/4" off the pass twr.
Now heres what a SOHC 5.4L looks like sitting on a set of modded mounts, and shoved as far over as the slack in the bolt holes allow;

please note that there is sufficient room to squeeeeze (emphasis on squeezing) a stock plug wire down between the twr and the valve cover.... My tork rod will allow about 3/32" of motion, and I inspect the urethane bushings every oil change, thus insureing survival of my valve covers over the past 70k miles :D

#15 ·
J.Miller said:
But where is the chrome? :mad: ....blah , blah....

solid aluminum motor mounts require no inspecting and work great.
Dont need no stinking chrome to run good.... drive down the road with the hood closed.... stock motor mounts will dampen a bit of the harshness of the long stroke :D did add abit o' color with the tork rod tho......

#17 ·
J.Miller said:
His solution is to use the smaller stock non-ABS 3.8L booster from a T-Bird. :cool:
Has he tried out that solution yet? When I installed the 4.6L DOHC into my 90 XR7, neither the stock ABS setup, nor the 3.8L N/A non-ABS setup would clear the valve cover. I ended up going with a new brake booster and non-ABS master cylinder for a 97 4.6L MN12.

-Rod

#19 ·
Bakstoy said:
I LIKE that intake. Where did you get it and $$$. I would like to modify one to fit my 4.6DOHC :thumbsup:
well, back to tech.... that intake shown in the beginning is an Aussie piece, soon to be imported and they are fabbing a U.S. made cover/top for it, from plastic, I think... Its a spin off of the almost priceless cobra -R intakes.... in any case it does make power in a 5.4 dohc, but a pita to mod for a 4.6 so you probably will never see one, unless you go to the DOHC 5.4 swap, which , I think will require a near professional expertise in our cars, but who knows?

#20 ·
With everyones talk about how tight a fit the engines on these cars are, Im suprised to see someone even attempt to fit an engine that big in a space that small.

#23 ·
those notches are due to the kooks headers going in the car, and the plan apparently is to modify them some more as well, and then ,I think, weld the notches shut..... I wonder how a set of MK VIII cast iron headers would fit? On a SOHC install the cast iron headers work just fine with a bit of bashing on the rails at the appropriate spot, and some discreet grinding of the tit and bulges in the drivers side to get the requisite 1/8" clearance....The guy doing this swap knows how to make things fit/work.... I suspect there will be more pics down the road, but its a slow project due a lotta other commitments.

#25 ·
its a game of fractions of an inch, on any 5.4 swap. Anudder reason i needed some pro help with mine. Of course my paws are short , stubby and really big. Its actually amazing to watch some of the really good mechanics do things at the back passenger side of these engines to the heater hoses, and such, without taking off the manifold and jacking the engine as well.... slender forearms, patience , determination, long fingers are the signs of a really good mechanic which of course , yours truly is not. The reason you can see the frame rails and fit of that engine is because the car is apart enoughto get a camera up inside, but Ive a feeling a lot of that install will be done by feel :rolleyes:

#26 ·
racecougar said:
Has he tried out that solution yet? When I installed the 4.6L DOHC into my 90 XR7, neither the stock ABS setup, nor the 3.8L N/A non-ABS setup would clear the valve cover. I ended up going with a new brake booster and non-ABS master cylinder for a 97 4.6L MN12.

-Rod

A stock ABS set up fromt a 94 would have worked fine too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.