TCCoA Forums banner

181 - 200 of 508 Posts

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Right now, its a 16 second lead sled, and I'm not saying I'm going to go deliver a beat down or anything like that, I just want to see it do what you say it will do.

Pretty sure he can run it whenever he wants. I don't think he's gonna worry about getting called out by some random guy halfway across the country.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Pretty sure he can run it whenever he wants. I don't think he's gonna worry about getting called out by some random guy halfway across the country.
I wouldn't blame him for ignoring the callout. I wouldn't want to run it either.

Can this thread die now? I'm surprised it hasn't been locked yet from all the off topic, incoherent, or flat out BS posts it's getting now.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I wouldn't blame him for ignoring the callout. I wouldn't want to run it either.

Can this thread die now? I'm surprised it hasn't been locked yet from all the off topic, incoherent, or flat out BS posts it's getting now.
the clean-up crew is in aisle 6 right now...but they're headed over this way soon :tongue:

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,117 Posts
Most of us 5.4L guys decided to keep our distance from Assassinator. He did not listen to anyone with actual experience when he did the swap/ intake and did his own thing. I guess he listened to you since you claim to be an expert?
:confused:
Assassinator and I do not get along. I seriously doubt he listened to anything I have ever said to him. I do know, he was rather upset that my lowly N/A 5.0 2V extremely outperformed his N/A 5.4 3V.

That said, he is not the only one to either go back to a 4.6, he is the only one on THIS BOARD to do so.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I have to say I have ridden in an f 250 with the 5.4 2v tons of times and this guy floors it a lot cause he likes how its torquey but even I noticed how its out of breath by the time you hit 50. Sure its got a lot of low end but thats where the appeal ends. Without a supercharger they aren't the preferred choice in swap but better than ending up wrecked or rusted out. Its like the one guy who put in a supra motor in an SC since no one else wanted the car he saved it from the trash heap.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I have to say I have ridden in an f 250 with the 5.4 2v tons of times and this guy floors it a lot cause he likes how its torquey but even I noticed how its out of breath by the time you hit 50. Sure its got a lot of low end but thats where the appeal ends. Without a supercharger they aren't the preferred choice in swap but better than ending up wrecked or rusted out. Its like the one guy who put in a supra motor in an SC since no one else wanted the car he saved it from the trash heap.
my truck is an F150 4x4, 97 model with the 4.6.
It is as slow as can be.
My brother in law has a 97 expedition/awd/4x4, but with the 5.4.

No matter where we are on the race track, any speed, any gear, he pulls me no problem.
His truck has over 250,000 hard miles on it, where mine has just over 107,000 easy miles on it.

so, for truck applications, the 5.4 is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
good info on this thread... but im still kinda confused on why the 4.6 2v is better than the 5.4 2v... no ones really said why the 4.6 is better... other than is somewhat cheaper

Because the 5.4 is simply a 1/2" stroker 4.6 and the 4.6 already has 1/2" more stroke than a 5.0 did.

Everyone gets so caught up on displacement they don't stop to think how the displacement is reached. The last thing these motors need is more stroke/ heavier crank if you are concerned with mid to top end horsepower.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Because the 5.4 is simply a 1/2" stroker 4.6 and the 4.6 already has 1/2" more stroke than a 5.0 did.

Everyone gets so caught up on displacement they don't stop to think how the displacement is reached. The last thing these motors need is more stroke/ heavier crank if you are concerned with mid to top end horsepower.
I totally agree. Anybody who has any experience with older V8 engines should figure there has to be a reason you can rev these 4.6L's 6-7K. And HP comes from torque and RPM's, right? Short stroke and light rotating mass assemblies has it's advantages. Think about it.....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I totally agree. Anybody who has any experience with older V8 engines should figure there has to be a reason you can rev these 4.6L's 6-7K. And HP comes from torque and RPM's, right? Short stroke and light rotating mass assemblies has it's advantages. Think about it.....

I used to rev stock crank 289/302 motors to 7000 20 years ago, these modulars IMHO 7000 is the minimum for a real street/strip motor. I am working with one guy for a 10,500 4V build.................

The 2V 4.6 get really happy in the 4000-7500 range. Above that 4V are better and below that 5.4 are better. To get a 5.4 2V happy to 7000RPM in a Mustang chassis requires a $1200 set of headers, a $1600 Logan intake, a 4" cowl hood, and a real set of cams. And yes I do have customers that build those as well, but I don't BS them about any of the issues like some in this thread want to do. If you want a 5.4 to run good outside of a truck chassis, you need to open your wallet significantly, otherwise the 4.6 will walk past it at the 1000ft mark. I don't see it happening in a MN12 chassis without a monster hood and a monster budget and so far the proof is in the results. For the price and weight of a 5.4 swap a SVO blower 4.6 is the same cost/weight for more output in this chassis. I applaud those that have tried, and they have taught us a lot, but the facts are the facts and the limitations are there and real.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
If you want to go Fast Ford offers a 2011 Shelby GT500 with a 5.4L supercharged 4-V V8 engine. If all this BS was true then is Ford NOT putting a 4.6L DOHC in their Shelby? I think you guys need to file a complaint with Ford!

How dare Ford put a 5.4L DOHC in their fastest top of the line car!!!! Don't they understand that the 4.6L DOHC is better because it has 1/2" shorter rods, less rotating mass, less weight... bla bla...

This is a total outrage! Write Ford, call Ford, call your Congressman, call your Senator, let Obama know so he can fix the problem!!!

This is an utter travesty!!!!
:tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that engine, J.Miller, has absolutely nothing in common with a 5.4L like this thread started talking about (except displacement). Different block, rods, pistons, intake, crank, heads, cams, etc., etc.

I'm just saying.....

·
Registered
557 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that engine, J.Miller, has absolutely nothing in common with a 5.4L like this thread started talking about (except displacement). Different block, rods, pistons, intake, crank, heads, cams, etc., etc.

I'm just saying.....
the thread started about a 4v 5.4 but turned into a debate about 2v 5.4's versus any 4.6...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i think if i read correctly the complaint with 5.4's was in naturally aspirated 2v form. several times over it was repeated by both argueing sides that a 4v blown 5.4 will definately run. that being said the cost of the cobra motor is outrageous from ford as its designed for people that are willing to spend too much for 500hp.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
..... If all this BS was true then is Ford NOT putting a 4.6L DOHC in their Shelby?

Because most "uneducated" people equate engine displacement with penis size. When you want to charge Corvette prices for a Mustang a 5.4 sells better than a 4.6 even if its not any faster just like the bigblock Shelbys of the 1960's. Shelby even complained back in the 1960's when he was forced to install bigblocks in his cars that the small block cars performed better.

You and every other 5.4 2V swapper have yet to create a car that has been proven faster at the track be it drag race or auto X. I am working with a few 5.4 2V swappers who have the cash to do it right, but we are talking $2000+ or so over a similar 4.6 Can it be done in a MN12 chassis? Probably add another $1000 to that $2000 extra.

181 - 200 of 508 Posts