TCCoA Forums banner

321 - 340 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
At the risk of pouring gasoline on a fire...
Would putting 3v heads on a 5.4 be a viable package? Would it make for a narrower motor than a 5.4 4v? It would take some work to get it running right, but if I remember what I read in the Mustang mags when the 3vs came out, the flow almost as much air as the 4vs. Bolt a pair of these onto a 5.4, and even if you lock out the cam phasers, you should still have enough airflow to put those extra 50 cubic inches to work.
Just a thought from a longtime member of the "There's no replacement for displacement" club.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
At the risk of pouring gasoline on a fire...
Would putting 3v heads on a 5.4 be a viable package? Would it make for a narrower motor than a 5.4 4v? It would take some work to get it running right, but if I remember what I read in the Mustang mags when the 3vs came out, the flow almost as much air as the 4vs. Bolt a pair of these onto a 5.4, and even if you lock out the cam phasers, you should still have enough airflow to put those extra 50 cubic inches to work.
Just a thought from a longtime member of the "There's no replacement for displacement" club.
it wouldn't because in a DOHC, the extra cams (the intake ones) are shifted inboard towards the valley of the block (the exhaust cams in a DOHC are in the same exact location as regular SOHCs)....therefore, 3V heads have the cams in the same exact spot as the exhaust cams as a DOHC, thus not saving any significant space widthwise

·
Banned
28 Posts
5.4l Dohc

I remember when kdanner accused certain peole of stealing pics from the "land down under" and saying that a 5.4L of any kind would never fit in a TBird. We all learn. Let this rest!

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I remember when kdanner accused certain peole of stealing pics from the "land down under" and saying that a 5.4L of any kind would never fit in a TBird. We all learn. Let this rest!

You should get your facts straight. Yes, I accused you of taking intakes pictures from an Aussie website, which was 100% true, you did. You'll find that on here if you bothered to look. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=616456 The upper intake in question can still be seen here: http://www.norcom.net.au/~bpt/boss_r_plenum.htm

Also, I was about the only person saying one of these engines could fit, which I'm sure you'd also find on here if you bothered to look. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=433929

Looks like you have 0% credibility, much like Miller. Its only taken you 5.5 years now to not finish your engine swap. It's really all pointless now anyway, even if you had a Cobra R 5.4 to swap in, a Coyote would be a far easier and far better performing swap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A 5.4 was in an MN12 as early as 1998 - yes back in BirdCats days. I met a guy that used to post as 'V8Thunder' down at Moroso and saw the car run 15's all night.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
A 5.4 was in an MN12 as early as 1998 - yes back in BirdCats days. I met a guy that used to post as 'V8Thunder' down at Moroso and saw the car run 15's all night.
Heh, I ran mid 14's on a bone stock wore out 95 4.6motor. Sounds like a downgrade to the 5.4 there.
Alan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Heh, I ran mid 14's on a bone stock wore out 95 4.6motor. Sounds like a downgrade to the 5.4 there.
Alan
I think I remember your car puling on another 5.4 car once. Granted, we were definitely lighter than the people in the other car, but not by enough to make that difference.

Darrin

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts

Hey, look who's back!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Alan- was the car completely stock or just a stock motor when you got into the 14s? also are you referring to the 14.55 in your sig? thanks in advance!
Stock 95 motor, had underdrive pullies, Darrin tuned it, 3.73 gears and I built the converter. The 3rd cat was also gutted, the motor burned more oil than gas I think, but it was in excess of 200,000 miles easily.
Alan

·
Registered
193 Posts
the more things change the more they stay the same. a coyote cant be swapped. its too hard, and costs too much.

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
Well, can't is a strong word. It's the unknown with powertrain control, wiring, power steering, and alternator that makes it such a challenge. Weirdly it probably fits under the hood of these cars better than a Cobra 4V.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Well, can't is a strong word. It's the unknown with powertrain control, wiring, power steering, and alternator that makes it such a challenge. Weirdly it probably fits under the hood of these cars better than a Cobra 4V.
I thought I had seen standalone wiring kits with the PCM for engine swaps in the Ford racing catalog ..

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
can't be and more than likely won't be are too differant things. anything is possible with time, talent, and more importantly money

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
can't be and more than likely won't be are too differant things. anything is possible with time, talent, and more importantly money
If the performance is there, people will do this swap in everything; The kit isn't that expensive from FRPP. I've seen $20k engines in mustangs; this won't touch that, lol.

It will take an extreme rewire of the car, that's for sure; but several people have swapped mark wiring in with their dohc setups; that's about the same level of difficulty as what the coyote swap would take.

Headers can be fabbed, regardless of availability; kooks is already doing mark headers, they might be persuaded to make swap manifolds, if enough people want them.

Lighter, stronger, faster. It will happen. Probably right after one of you guys get blasted by one at the track. :D

Me personally, I hope to complete my PI swap and DOHC swap before I die. :rolleyes:

:tongue:

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
321 - 340 of 508 Posts