TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My local Auto dismantler offered me a 5.4 out of a Navigator :confused: .. i just said no.. saddly he didn't have the '02 GT 4.6L with 7K on it anymore :(

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Are there going to be more pics with the mods required to fit that beast in there with out the engine itself? I am interested in seeing the notches in the framerails.

--Craig

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
those notches are due to the kooks headers going in the car, and the plan apparently is to modify them some more as well, and then ,I think, weld the notches shut..... I wonder how a set of MK VIII cast iron headers would fit? On a SOHC install the cast iron headers work just fine with a bit of bashing on the rails at the appropriate spot, and some discreet grinding of the tit and bulges in the drivers side to get the requisite 1/8" clearance....The guy doing this swap knows how to make things fit/work.... I suspect there will be more pics down the road, but its a slow project due a lotta other commitments.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
My son saw this and was like, "Daddy, car!" I think that means he volunteers to help. With these cars you need a requisite 2yo or midget to get to certain things...haha.

--Craig

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
its a game of fractions of an inch, on any 5.4 swap. Anudder reason i needed some pro help with mine. Of course my paws are short , stubby and really big. Its actually amazing to watch some of the really good mechanics do things at the back passenger side of these engines to the heater hoses, and such, without taking off the manifold and jacking the engine as well.... slender forearms, patience , determination, long fingers are the signs of a really good mechanic which of course , yours truly is not. The reason you can see the frame rails and fit of that engine is because the car is apart enoughto get a camera up inside, but Ive a feeling a lot of that install will be done by feel :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
racecougar said:
Has he tried out that solution yet? When I installed the 4.6L DOHC into my 90 XR7, neither the stock ABS setup, nor the 3.8L N/A non-ABS setup would clear the valve cover. I ended up going with a new brake booster and non-ABS master cylinder for a 97 4.6L MN12.

-Rod

A stock ABS set up fromt a 94 would have worked fine too :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
91 XR7 said:
My local Auto dismantler offered me a 5.4 out of a Navigator :confused: .. i just said no.. saddly he didn't have the '02 GT 4.6L with 7K on it anymore :(

I want one, although not for my Bird, it'll definitely go in something I can knock the shock towers out of and put a Mustang II under it...like a 68/9 Torino :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was lookin at my front end yesterday trying to figure out what it would take. It would be a time consuming project to say the least just to get it set up with different shock towers.

Chris

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Anyone ever thought of putting a Mustang II front end under a T-bird? Someont back half one and put a Mustang II front under it, do it, do it. Think about it though, what do those coil overs for the front of these cost? And what's a tubular K cost? And how much room would you gain in the front, and how much does a big brake kit with some opposing piston calipers cost? The initial cost to do the Mustang II front end would seem high, but if you are going to do all of the above things it would probably even out in the end and probably be less headache. Give Heidts a call and get the multi fit kit and get to work.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hmmmmm... I wonder how far up you would have to cut it (strut tower). You see in the pics that the frame rails are cut. You would have to either raise the engine up and have block huggers and or use some sort of old school header that raises up and then exits at the very rear of the head. I think the best bet would be to chanel outside the original frame and run the upper controll arm there, then use the MII setup with a set of coilovers. Just IMO.

Chris

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
A stock ABS set up fromt a 94 would have worked fine too :D
Gee, how do you know that. :D

I'm just not a big fan of ABS.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
seawalkersee said:
Hmmmmm... I wonder how far up you would have to cut it (strut tower). You see in the pics that the frame rails are cut. You would have to either raise the engine up and have block huggers and or use some sort of old school header that raises up and then exits at the very rear of the head. I think the best bet would be to chanel outside the original frame and run the upper controll arm there, then use the MII setup with a set of coilovers. Just IMO.

Chris
From what I ve been told recently the fit will not be any tighter than the SOHC with the motor mounts in place, and the headers ''may '' get additional mods, and the frame rails will be closed back up,,. There will be a different booster for the brakes, and double tork straps may be used to keep her in place...

As an aside, after studying my tight fit , SOHC, the axis of rotation is such that the valve cover moves toward that right shock twr, but also down, tucking slightly under that bulge in the shock twr, giving juuuust a slight xtra bit of clearance......

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was talking about with a MII front end. That would almost eliminate the towers from the frame up. AND if you paralelled the frame with the mount for the UCA, the headers would clear...

Chris

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Adapting an MII front suspension would be A LOT of work, and those suspensions were designed for cars a lot lighter than ours. I know just about every street rod with an IFS uses an MII-based suspension, but there are a whole lot of things to consider besides just extra engine room (suspension geometry, component strength, etc.).

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I agree with that. I looked again yesterday and it seems that it would be almost improbable to try to do the swap simply because of the room you have to deal with. The swap would be cool to see but I would not even recomend it for the daily driver.

Chris

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, its gonna be a daily driver, but the guy doing it just doesnt recognize the size constraint, has unusual tech knowledge, and is an unstoppable tinker-er, so I am sure he will "Git her done!"

·
Banned
28 Posts
Hey JMiller--You and I both know this engine is no wider that a stock 5.4 SOHC. We also know that the SOHC fit in his last car with no mods and it still has its rocker/valve covers intact. I have the upper and we'll have pictures soon. Worst case is a little hood mod.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
mercutio said:
Adapting an MII front suspension would be A LOT of work, and those suspensions were designed for cars a lot lighter than ours. I know just about every street rod with an IFS uses an MII-based suspension, but there are a whole lot of things to consider besides just extra engine room (suspension geometry, component strength, etc.).
The more I have thought about it the less I think the weight would be a big deal. I have seen 50's trucks with big blocks in them with MII anc Nova front ends under them. There is no way a T-bird/Cougar is heavier than a 50's big block truck. And guys have been putting them in that stuff for years, back when all the components used in a Mustang II front end in a street rod were stolen off a Mustang II. Any more a lot of it is just 'Mustang II style' but all the control arms are tubular and adjustable. the companies that make the Mustang II conversion kits put a pretty large amount of design work into things to get all the geometries correct to eliminate bumpsteer and all.

I think it would really be a doable thing.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Actually, what I was talking about for the brace on the out board side of the frame, there is a new mustang parts catalogue in the newest 5.0. It has this thing listed with the mounts in angle iron for the mustang application that gets rid of the mcphearson style strut.

Chris

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
HP motorsports I believe has been making a double A-arm conversion for the fox bodies for quite some time now.

21 - 40 of 508 Posts