TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 508 Posts

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
The more I have thought about it the less I think the weight would be a big deal. I have seen 50's trucks with big blocks in them with MII anc Nova front ends under them. There is no way a T-bird/Cougar is heavier than a 50's big block truck. And guys have been putting them in that stuff for years, back when all the components used in a Mustang II front end in a street rod were stolen off a Mustang II. Any more a lot of it is just 'Mustang II style' but all the control arms are tubular and adjustable. the companies that make the Mustang II conversion kits put a pretty large amount of design work into things to get all the geometries correct to eliminate bumpsteer and all.

I think it would really be a doable thing.
I guess the distinction needs to be made between something that "works" and something that handles well. If you have driven some of the hotrods running mustang 2 suspensions you know they don't hold a candle (in general) to our stock coil overs as far as handling and ride feel. Are they workable and safe....yes in most cases but not ideal IMO

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Dammit timb, you some beach. Once again you make me envy you from your past luck being able to/have ridden in many hot rods.

As far as the front end goes, the one I am speaking of is for the NEW moostangs. So it must be some sort (stright line) of performance oriented.

Chris

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Chris,

Give it time. With enough exposure to other people in the hobby you will get your chance. I know I always try to give people who have a genuine interest the same type of experiences I was given. When I was a teen the hopped up T-buckets were the hot thing and some of them were downright scarey as far as handling and braking. They would go like stink in a straight line though.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Oh, I know. Usually the only time I see emm is when I am at the car shows here locally. Now its kind of wierd. There are more elcaminos and 70s muscle cars at the shows. There is something for everyone EXCEPT the diehard t-bird fan. I actually know a guy here in town with a 3 window, now that I think about it, the reason I know him is becuase of his 86 bird.

Chris

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
Another way of saying, "one of the advantages of being old." :eek:

-mike
Yep I guess that about covers it. I guess I haven't quite gotten used it it yet ;)
I beginning to realize I'm the older guy down the block I used to hang out with when I was a kid learning to wrench on cars :eek:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Mike; youll have to excuse Miller, as I have it on good authority, that he has just got back from an extended business trip, jet lagged, bloated , hung over , with a bad case of diahrrea,and near terminal acne.... However he certainly has a different , and sometimes refreshing point of view , unless its that other condition of his, furitus of the flapper valve, which I understand can be quite debilitating from time to time.....
Further affiant sayeth not :D

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I'll say this. If the OWNER of the 5.4L DOHC wants to post real info with real pics and real numbers when they come available, it will NOT be trashed up with name calling from either side. We have the power to moderate and we will use it if need be. I would like to see it as I'm sure many others would too.

But the second somebody gets a case of oral diahrrea, the posts will be pulled. You've been warned. That said, please tell us of your progress with as many pics as you can. We love pics. :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
I wouldn't now, but in 1965 who knew?? The car turned pretty consistent 10's N/A, so WTF?? And that engine and trans combination came out of that car and went into a Ford flatbed with a 35' sign boom, and got us from job to job all over Long Island for the next 6 years and was still going strong when my dad sold his business.. so go figger....

The point I was making was that "back in the day" guys were not afraid to try anything... some of it worked... some of it didn't....

-mike
Oh I know what your point was. I was just saying those trannys sucked. One of my collge instructors had a dynaflow or whatever the designation for it was in a bus. He was taking a cross country trip and using it like a camper. He said about every two hours they had to stop and let it cool down because it would slip soo bad it couldnt climb a hill...and that brings us to my oversite of "back in the day" which was when he was still alive telling us stories about 20 years ago.

Chris

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I was wondering where that thread went. I'd love to see the finished project. I would really like to have more $$$ so I could do something similar. Keep up the good work!
-Rob

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think we are cracking him. He is going to send more pics...

Chris

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
He told me the same thing...

Chris

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
My directive is to start a NEW thread with the new pics. Include the already-posted pics if you like, but there was too much BS to continue with this one.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Feel the love?

Chris

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, It Fits!!!

J.Miller said:
This un-disclosed USA based T-bird could be the next NA mod motor champion?

The headers will be shortened. The shock towers required a small portion of the frame to will be modified to give the clearance he needs for the headers...

Hey, what do I know???? :eek: :eek:

Hey Kooks if you only used my Kitty as a test platform you could have this market cinched? :eek: :eek: :)

So what happened to that THUNDERBIRD , cause I'm gonna do that or a 5.3L DOHC motor on the bird I'm buying.

41 - 60 of 508 Posts